SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zalper

Is this crown rot or something else? Are my plants doomed?

Zalper
11 years ago

Hello everyone - I'm hoping someone can help me. I just got started in this hobby 4 months ago and I'm encountering my very 1st disease which looks like it will wipe out my entire collection of baby plantlets.

A dark ring is appearing in the center of the baby plants affecting the parts of the leaves closest to the crown. I googled to see what it could be but it doesn't look like the pictures I see of crown rot. It looks very much like this photo posted on flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28115239@N04/8176861239/

These are plantlets that were started from leaves 4 months ago. They had spent their entire lives under a clear dome up until a week ago when I took the dome off. That's when the problem suddenly cropped up. (I did gradually prop the dome open before I took it off altogether).

The plants were now being exposed to cooler temperatures with lower humidity. I community wicked them and they were taking up a lot of water once the dome was off. My guess is once the dome was off the wicks started taking up too much water to compensate for the lower humidity. The mix is 1/3 perlite vermiculite & peat moss with an inch of perlite in the bottom of each pot.

About half the plantlets are affected and I am isolating them but I think all of the plants probably have the disease if that's what it is.

Does anyone know what this is and can these plants be saved? Thanks in advance.

Comments (12)