SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gwynne2006

Help with new passiflora caerulea, please

gwynne2006
16 years ago

The passiflora incarnata that I got off ebay is doing well, but of course I got impatient and ordered a passiflora caerulea from Ron. It looks great!

I am a little unsure how to care for it, however. My passiflora incarnata started with very small vines and I will put up a trellis as it grows. It is not at the stage where I need to wind it around anything yet.

The passiflora caerulea is already two of three feet long! There is a flower blooming and lots of buds. Even though it is a vine, for some reason, I had a vision in my mind of it arriving and standing straight up. Silly, I know.

I have several questions.

Do I thread it through my trellis? I imagine it needs support. Has anyone ever grown one without a place for it to climb?

How much light does it need to thrive? There are only limited parts of my balcony where I can put a trellis without it being an eyesore and I dont want to get complaints from the condo association. I do have an iron fence at the edge of my balcony. Would that be preferable to a plastic trellis?

Can passifloras be moved indoors during the winter if you can not plant them?

How deep of a pot do I need? I dont know anything about the root system and if the roots like to burrow.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide. I want to get the passiflora caerulea situated by this weekend and hope to get information so I can get the best size pot and location for it.

Comments (4)

Sponsored