SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
micki777

My solution for containers without lids, Questions RE

micki
12 years ago

I've found so many neat containers but it comes down to the available space for the plants to grow up in. I'm planning on building a hoop cold frame but before that I have something I've wipped up in the mean time and wonder how you think this will work for WSing.

Its like a raised bed. 4 ft by 4 ft with 11" sides but there's no dirt in it. I'll place the containers right on the fround. I plan to use a clear piece of shower curtain for the roof of which all I'll do is staple it on the top.(or weight it down with bricks more likely so I can get into it) I'll put slits in the plastic for the rain and snow to melt through.

If you think this will work what about the hoop cold frame which will be much taller (the sides will be the same only 10" high) and I'm not sure if I wanted to destroy the plastic by putting holes in it. (This will be 5 mil plastic) The structure is nothing more than a rectangle 4x8 foot with a plastic roof held in place with bendable pvc piping)

Can I get away with not putting holes in the plastic and still achieve germination?

I can keep them watered and even shovel snow on top of the plants. I have purchased a couple hundred gal pots and I could use these containers for WSing and put them in this cold frame and not worry about making tops for everyone, how much simpler that would make life for me. If this is not acceptable for zone wars then I wont count them.

I just wanted to know if you think it will work and any problems you can forsee.

Thank you for your valued advice.

Micki

Comments (18)

Sponsored