SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynne48

OT: Never Mess With Bluejays!

susanlynne48
15 years ago

The day b4 yesterday I found a Bluejay baby that apparently been learning how to fly, but had slammed into my glass sliding doors leading to the deck. A cat was eyeing it closely, so I went out to inspect and attempt a rescue.

It hopped off the deck and very close to the bottom part of the deck that has gaps between in, and a large gap between the steps and the underside of the deck. I was afraid it would try to go under the deck and there are a lot of roaming cats, possum, dogs, whatnot. Momma and Daddy were just having a fit because their baby had been stunned by flying into the glass and was wandering around on the ground.

So, I picked it up, and at that very moment, momma Bluejay attacked with a vengeance, thumping me on the head and then thumping me again. She obviously did NOT want me to mess with her baby. The head-thumping really did hurt, so I left the baby alone and went inside. Poured some Bactine on the wound on top of my head. Was kinda shaken up a bit.

Anyway, she was just protecting her baby and I should never have tried to intervene. It's my nature, though. Rescued a yellow finch one year - no attacks on that occasion. But they are smaller birds - much smaller than a bluejay.

So, needless to say, I won't attempt that ever again. I will let nature take its course. An observation I made is that the babies do not have tail feathers yet. It was just a very round ball of fluff.

Susan

Comments (15)

Sponsored