SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caterwallin

Question about cats and predators/parasites

16 years ago

Whatever you call it when the flies and wasps lay their eggs in? on? cats and instead of the butterfly eclosing, the fly or wasp comes out of the pupa instead. Anyway, do cats have certain types of wasps and/or flies that lay their eggs in/on them? I wonder this because when I had flies attack Monarch cats (only I didn't know it at the time), I'd have those darn tachinid flies come out instead of the butterfly. Now that I'm seeing my BST's eclose, I see that a few must have been attacked before I got to them because instead of getting a beautiful BST butterfly, I had a wasp come out of two of them now. One of them was a few days ago and one today. They have reddish bodies and black wings. Maybe the pupas that they came out of had been cats that I didn't collect as an egg, I really don't know.

So now I'm wondering if only wasps attack BST cats and only tachinid flies attack Monarch cats. Out of the Monarchs that I raised and had been attacked I ONLY had tachinid flies come out of those pupas and NOT wasps, so it seems to me that only tachinid flies attack Monarch cats, but I think I read of both doing that. Also, so far, of the BST attacks (although there's only two to judge by), only wasps have come out. I hate to assume from just that two though that only wasps attack the BST. Either way (if only wasps attack BST's or if both flies and wasps attack them), is that red wasp the only kind of wasp that attacks BST's? I kind of hate to go killing every wasp that I see if only the red ones are the culprits. I do kill the tachinid flies that I see around here now after I've read about them and witnessed firsthand them coming out of pupas of cats that I raised from little on up. That leads me to another question...can wasps and flies attack both cats and eggs?

Cathy

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions in Columbus