SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wandering_willow

Some Happy Planty Pictures! Post Yours Too!

13 years ago

First sunny day in a while, and all of my plants look perkier - I know they just can't wait to get outside!!! The Groundhogs predicted an early spring, I sure hope they are right! haha. Sorry for the picture sizes, I cannot seem to reformat them >.{{gwi:496882}}

He looked so Jolly I couldn't help zooming in:

{{gwi:496884}}

And Mrs. Euphorbia too, so she doesn't feel left out :)

{{gwi:496886}}

{{gwi:496888}}

{{gwi:496889}}

{{gwi:496890}}

{{gwi:496891}}

{{gwi:496892}}

Comments (50)

• 13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Nice plants all! I'll take one of each, please!

Christopher

• 13 years ago

I think that's your Fockea coming to life? Nice collection.

Here are some that are happy, mostly (the Agave at the bottom is not happy and wants more heat).

{{gwi:496893}}

• Related Discussions

Please post some of your favorite Junk pictures

Q

Comments (38)
    Posted by countrygrl 5 IL (My Page) on Tue, Jul 17, 07 at 20:17 Sue, I love the tub and the old bedspring! And the sink! How did you secure the bed? You just keep showing us more surprises!! I'm sorry I didn't answer you question sooner. I guess I just missed it somehow. My DH put screws through the edge of the springs into the wooden sides of the raised bed. Then, just to be sure, he braced it with a 2x4 in the back. Here is a link that might be useful: Shysue's Album
    ...See More

Going to try to post some pictures

Q

Comments (7)
    Haven't posted for awhile..lost my father on the 5th, same day my oldest son turned 31...been an exhausting couple of weeks, but I think I'm starting to see some sunshine, not just the clouds. Mayme, had to comment on your front porch..looks so inviting, would love to sit with a hot mulled cider, and savor the Thanksgiving before Christmas rushes at us, full speed ahead. Thanksgiving blessings to all the GJer's who never fail to make me smile!
    ...See More

Some Pictures to Make You Drool...~Show us your pictures

Q

Comments (42)
    Wow..these are all so beautiful!!! mel I hope you get to feeling better! mary lu I have followed your progress from when you first posted pictures and your gardens always amaze me! I go to the cottage garden forum often, mostly just read and look... Another one of my favorites is also on the cottage garden forum from 'gottagarden' and her red bed. She posted pictures of her 2nd year w/this bed and as usual my mouth drops when I see her pictures too See the link below Dena Here is a link that might be useful: Red Bed 2nd Year
    ...See More

Post some pictures of your gardens

Q

Comments (11)
    I went a little over board . I'm afraid that the yield is going to be low because the garden barely get 6 hrs of full sun .If i get bumper crops I have lots of kids and friends to share with, If that's so it will give me more room for other plants .I planted squash and cukes on Sunday .I still have room for fall greens and some cabbages . what ever is not behind that netting is getting eaten by the rabbits and deer .I'm going to cover my raspberries soon
    ...See More
  • 13 years ago

Thanks! to both of you :)

CactusMcHarris, you're that is my Fockea Edulis, just starting to wake up :). What is that almost bluish plant all the way in the back, center, of your photo? It is beautiful - as are all of them!

• 13 years ago

WW,

That is what the learned folk at the International Crassulacae Network call Pachyveria 'Glauca', a selection from a cross with Echeveria and Pachyphytum - its parents aren't exactly known. These are those experts' guesses. It's not flowered for me yet.

(Jacobsen: P. bracteosum x E. glauca
    E. Walther: P. hookeri x E. spec.
    Van Keppel: P. compactum x E. glauca?)

If you'd like some cuttings of it, I'll send you some the next time I'm in the States, along with other plants, all for the price of postage going to the SPCA as a donation. LMK via PM by clicking on 'My Page' and sending me an email.

Here's the article on it. Happy reading.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pachyveria Veritas

• 13 years ago

Whoa, what a sweet lookin' Finger Jade! ;-)

Those first two look like stone pillars for some native Temple. Awesome!

Josh

• 13 years ago

Thanks all! Post your pictures too! What better way to get through this snowy freezingness than with plant pics? :)

• 13 years ago

Very interesting WW!

They caught my eye. Very nice with lots of character and unique.

Mike:-)

• 13 years ago

AAHHH my planties are not to happy....sigh.

• 13 years ago

Epi in bloom last Summer.

{{gwi:496894}}

Ron

• 13 years ago

Most of these guys are probly not too happy now, but hopefully will be in a few months...

Agave demettiana "Variegata" now finished flowering, most seeds have dropped and is developing bulbils, of which I will have lots to share soon.
    {{gwi:496895}}

Agave Americana
    {{gwi:496896}}

Agave Confederate Rose
    {{gwi:496897}}

AGAVE GEMINIFLORA
    {{gwi:496898}}

Euphorbia Lactea White Ghost
    {{gwi:496899}}

Euphorbia Millii
    {{gwi:496901}}
    {{gwi:496903}}

Portulacaria afra & variegata
    {{gwi:496905}}
    {{gwi:496907}}

Rhipsalis Capilliformis
    {{gwi:496909}}

Epiphyllum pumillum
    {{gwi:496912}}

Stapelia gigantea & some friends
    {{gwi:496914}}

Euphorbia anoplia
    {{gwi:496916}}

Euphorbia tirucalli & some pachy etc. friends...
    {{gwi:496918}}

Assorted stapeliads, etc.
    {{gwi:496920}}

• 13 years ago

Everyone here has beautiful C&S's..
    Ken, your garden is lovely..

{{gwi:496922}}

{{gwi:496924}}

{{gwi:496926}}

{{gwi:496928}}

{{gwi:67756}}

The leaf on the magnifying glass dropped from the plant. I haven't any idea how long it was on the glass, but it rooted. Total shade.

My plants aren't as beautiful as yours, but winter in IL is a tragic time for succulents. Toni

• 13 years ago

Very nice, happy plantys, everyone.

I do have some plants starting to stir in my sunroom, with the higher light levels as we head out of this godforsaken winter...

{{gwi:496930}}

{{gwi:496932}}

{{gwi:496935}}

{{gwi:496937}}

{{gwi:496939}}

buds?
    {{gwi:496941}}

{{gwi:496943}}

T

• 13 years ago

Everyone has such lovely plants. I really enjoyed seeing them, thank you!

All mine are outside, most of them are in the ground.

{{gwi:496946}}

{{gwi:496950}}

{{gwi:496952}}

I'm very pleased with the Yucca linearifolia. It's a really beautiful plant. I recommend it. The photo doesn't do it justice.

• 13 years ago

Great images everyone. I set my succulents outside to get some real sun and start getting ready for spring. This friday is supposed to be close to 70 which is great for February.

My search is on for a pachy that I saw online the other day. Don't know much about them, but I loved the contrast between the sharp spikes and flower stem. {{gwi:496954}}From Garden 2011

• 13 years ago

I'm sorry, I had to do this.

{{gwi:496955}}

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• 13 years ago

Excellent enhancement on my Pseudolithos! I wish they really did grow that way!

That really cracked me up.

Thanks.

T

• 13 years ago

Everyone has lovely succulents..Beautiful.

Tom, what is the second plant from the top? I love it! :)

Hoove..Beautiful garden. What's the plant with the orange flowers? Your Agave/Yuccas are adorable. So big. Wish I could grow sux in the garden.

Amccour..ROFL. How creative! He looks very angry. If he was ten times my size, I wouldn't want to be near that 'Man Eating Plant.' lol..Toni

• 13 years ago

Toni,

That's Tom's Pelargonium (species forgotten - cotyledonesis?) - wow, it's a lovely plant in leaf and out, I bet.

Tom,

Great looking collection - what's that Agave, please?

Hoov,

Lovely garden - I miss those days sometimes. Is that Agave 'Blue Glow'?

DP,

That's a great start - I always liked the columnar cacti.

• 13 years ago

Toni - Jeff is correct - that is Pelargonium cotyledonis. Indigenous only to St. Helena Island...

Jeff - that agave was sold to me as Agave verschaffeltii minima.

T

• 13 years ago

The "augmented" Pseudolithos is cool (as is the un-augmented one)! :)

Hopeful, the orange flowers are some sort of common iceplant hybrid--I got a flat at Lowes to fill in until the Aloes etc can pup themselves into the available space.

Jeff, yes, 'Blue Glow'.

• 13 years ago

Cactus and Tom..thanks much..Pelargonium came to mind, but the foliage threw me off. It's so nice.
    Because it's indigenous to St. Helena, does the mean we can't get it here? I mean, I know the definition of indigenous, lol, but what does one have to do w/the other?

Hoovb..Very very nice ice-plant, and much larger than those hardy to IL which are low in height but spread wide.
    Your Aloes, etc, are very colorful from the sun.

Is Yucca linearifolia the same as Striata? It's one of the prettiest Yucca's I've seen. Toni

• 13 years ago

hopeful - Ah, I was just being silly about the indigenous thing...probably true of a lot of plants. Just an interesting factoid about this one, I guess. It is also the island to which Napolean was exiled (another moderately interesting factoid...for some, I suppose).

I got mine on eBay, btw...thought I do not see them offered much, actually. I am sure you can find one if you looked hard enough, though.

T

• 13 years ago

I have a few happy plants too.
    {{gwi:496958}}

{{gwi:496960}}

{{gwi:496962}}

• 13 years ago

Toni,

From Wikipedia, and it seems a fair definition:

In biogeography, a species is defined as native to a given region or ecosystem if its presence in that region is the result of only natural processes, with no human intervention. Every natural organism (as opposed to a domesticated organism) has its own natural range of distribution in which it is regarded as native. Outside this native range, a species may be introduced by human activity; it is then referred to as an introduced species within the regions where it was anthropogenically introduced.

An indigenous species is not necessarily endemic. In biology and ecology, endemic means exclusively native to the biota of a specific place. An indigenous species may occur in areas other than the one under consideration.

Hoov,

May I say, if not again, 'Blue Glow' is beautiful.

Mike,

That's good progress, but you might want to think about containing that Opuntia you have in the ground and in the bucket - it will grow rampantly, but if you've got nothing else to grow there now, you might consider putting it into the ground....but I would still suggest not, and here's why - you'll find more plants as you go along, and clearing that Opuntia (which will have quadrupled in size) isn't going to be a whole lot of fun, unless you have one of those miniature Komatsu tractor/digger/Swiss Army Knife-with-wheels. That would get rid of it without having to sullying your hands/leather gloves with thousands of glochids.

• 13 years ago

Gum, your Sprengeri, 'Foxtail Fern,' is doing great. Deep green. Does it berry?
    Am I seeing a variegated Agave in pic 2? It's beautiful.

Cactus. I understand. Which makes me wonder about a plant sold here in IL, but can't be shipped here.
    There's a plant called Hall's Honeysuckle. Honesuckle is grown here, but for some reason, it's illegal for an IL vendor to ship Hall's Honeysuckle to people who live here in IL. Why is that?

Talk about invasive. Hummingbird Vine and Datura is growing everywhere. I planted both plants, 'Hummingbird out back, Datura in front,' and every summer I pluck hundreds if not thousands sprouts. Hummingbird and Daturas are growing everywhere, front and back. lol. Nowhere near the original plants.
    Oh, the same with Sedum, 'Autumn Joy.' It's awful. Toni

• 13 years ago

My first guess would be because it's invasive or would displace a native species, but your county agricultural folk can tell you for sure.

• 13 years ago

You guys have reason to be proud of your plants, thanks for sharing I loved going through the pics :)

• 13 years ago

My first Epi bloom. have had the plant for 5 years.
    {{gwi:73911}}

Hardy oputina one plant I do not have to drag inside for the winter
    {{gwi:496965}}

{{gwi:206642}}

• 13 years ago

Hi, kinda new to the forums here. I have a few small Jades and just got some Port. afra which we re-potted the other night.

{{gwi:496967}}

• 13 years ago

Marquest,

Is that the beloved and widespread O. humifusa? It's nice to see it in flower.

Laurie,

Welcome aboard.

I guess I'm going blind, but I can only somewhat view your extensive P.a. collection.

• 13 years ago

Sorry, it's a slightly blurry cell phone pic. I'll have to get out the regular camera and photograph my "window garden". The PAs - I bought a "bonsai" and a pot of the variegated - the pot had 8 plants and the bonsai pot had 2 plants (with a lot of extremely soggy soil!) so that was a pretty good haul.

{{gwi:496968}}

{{gwi:496969}}

{{gwi:496970}}

{{gwi:496973}}

{{gwi:496974}}

{{gwi:496975}}

More photos (all, not just the succulents) in the link to my Flickr account.

Here is a link that might be useful: All my happy plants

• 13 years ago

"Is that the beloved and widespread O. humifusa? It's nice to see it in flower."

Jeff, I do not know the name. I have been trading for different color bloom oputinia. I think I finally have the solid yellow bloomer will not know for sure until it blooms.

• 13 years ago

No pictures right now but I think I will do an overview of what my newer plants have done this winter so far, then possibly post some pictures of the more interesting ones when... I am able to. Hopefully tomorrow or Monday. Also for reference most of my plants are currently in easy or west facing windows.

So.

Avonia quinaria - Seems to have been a lot easier than I was told, although it' growing in pretty much pure pumice and gravel which I'm sure helps. Has needed way more water than I expected, although it seems very receptive to taking water back up after longer dry periods, which is good. Not a lot of growth but overall it's done pretty well.

Some Faucaria, Trichodiadema bulbosum - Trichodiadema wan't in great shape but I'm pretty sure I underwatered these to death. We'll see.

Euphorbias - With the exception of the E. Millii that I unerwatered and sort of broke (I think one of the two plants in the pot is alive but sort of... warped) and the E. Flanaganii which has been pretty dramatically etiolated since I bought it and kept it outside last summer, no really problems.

E. Vigueri is leafing up again after only about maybe two months of dormancy. I think I might experiment with keeping this indoors this summer because, given its leaf shape and positioning, pretty much any mildly strongish breeze would knock it off the shelf and I doubt the constant physical trauma is good for it.

E. Tortillis I got in December is flowering a little, which surprised me, although that's not an unwelcome thing.

E. Trigonas. Okay. Interesting story. I moved and had to bring these in earlier than I normally would've, so... they were sitting on my windowsills in late September. Of course, September is still really hot, so I had my windows open (which also gets the plants a nice breeze and a bit more light from glass not obstructing stuff).

And then there was a really bad windstorm and possibly tornadic activity and all of my plants went flying and these in particular lot their growing tips. Whoops. Anyway, one is branching up nicely. The other one still isn't. Not really sure what's up with that, especially since it lost its growing tip even worse.

Various Aloe-family things: The Aloes proper are doing fine although they're not growing a whole lot (except for one which isn't doing that great. It's one of the uh... tall ones with really tiny leaves?). Gasteraloe's doing fine. Gasteria hasn't done anything since I got it two years ago. Haworthias weren't looking that great so I've upped their watering. Do Haworthias need more water than Aloes..?

Plectanthrus ernestii - Despite some leaf drop after I first got it it seems to be doing fine, now, although I suspect I could be watering it more. Currently flowering for some reason.

Cacti - I haven't had any *really* massive mealy outbreaks as far as I can tell. Been trying to keep these watered a little more than I had last wintered and it seems to be working. Still managed to lose two (although one probably wasn't my fault). Leuchtenbergias and... the... tuberous star/agave shaped cactus whose name I have forgotten are doing alright though I think the Leuchtenbergias might've been kept a bit too try since I'm seeing some brown tips. Ripsalises have stopped shattering which I am happy about. Also my Schlumbergera finally bloomed about a week or two ago, after dropping all of its buds when I bought it in November.

• 13 years ago

Fluffy and not aromatic: Caramella on a closet shelf

{{gwi:496977}}

Aromatic (in the summer) and not fluffy : Aeonium balsamiferum
    {{gwi:496979}}

• 13 years ago

Here're mine happy plants.

{{gwi:496980}}

{{gwi:496981}}

Thanks for looking.

Xuan

• 13 years ago

Xuan, hello!
    What on earth is that first one?! A Sanseveria???
    Very interesting bloom!

Josh

• 13 years ago

Josh,

That's what it is, and in case you didn't know, the flowers are very fragrant.

• 13 years ago

Hi Josh, I must say "very sorry" about plant names... I never have them except for a few :-(

But, as you said, I guess it's a sanseveria. I got it as a pup from a friend in Bangkok, Thailand.

How're all your jades?

Xuan

• 13 years ago

Jeff and Xuan, thank you!

Xuan, no worries...Sanseveria is more than enough ;-)
    It's a beauty! And, if fragrant, that's even cooler.

My Jades are all growing happily. I'll post just one pic of a pot of mixed Jades.
    'Hummel's Sunset,' 'Crosby's Compact,' 'Hobbit,' and 'Gollum.'
    Thanks again to Mike for this Hummel and pot ;-)

{{gwi:496982}}

Josh

• 13 years ago

Thanks, Josh. I love Hummel sunset. Their color is gorgeous.

Xuan

• 13 years ago

i have been meaning to do this for a week. all three pictures are of the same plant. this is a Hummel's Sunset cutting that i received from Norma last June. i would say that it is happy.

{{gwi:496983}}

{{gwi:496984}}

{{gwi:496986}}

Doug

• 13 years ago

Nice, Doug!
    Tons of new growth since you got it. I can't wait to see the colors return this Summer.
    Most of my Jades are fairly green right now...other than the pot I posted above,
    which has kept decent color all Winter.

Josh

• 13 years ago

thank you Josh. and very nice also. i would like to learn that trick with the color all winter long, too! i don't think i could without an abundance of artificial lights though.

Doug

• 13 years ago

This aloe was a pup from a plant near my relative's house on East Loma Alta Drive in Altadena CA. I got it in 2000 at X-mas.
    Ten years later this is the first flower spike, although the pup has become a nice sized clump.
    {{gwi:496987}}
    Interestingly, one of the first pictures I took with my new digital camera in 2000 was of a flower spike from the mother aloe.
    What do you call that..."kismet"? Here is that picture from 2000.
    {{gwi:496988}}

• 13 years ago

WOW!
    I have been away, and coming back and seeing this thread with all of these amazing pictures made me smile! everyone, your plants are simply beautiful!

• 13 years ago

DR,

Yep, that's a blessing like the priest does on a village's fishing fleet, I'd reckon.

Winter's being slowly made to go away....but it's taking ever so long, what with an additional snowfall last night. OTOH, it's getting up to 6C today!

{{gwi:496989}}

• 13 years ago

{{gwi:496991}}

Plectanthrus flowers.

{{gwi:496993}}

Ledebouria flower.

{{gwi:496994}}

Gasteraloe pup.

{{gwi:496995}}

One of these things.

{{gwi:496996}}

Surprised that the E. Vigueri is leafing out already. Didn't do that till about April last year. It also flowered first.

{{gwi:496997}}

You can see the other half of the pereskia in the pic above. I should probably trim it sometime.

{{gwi:496998}}

{{gwi:496999}}

No comment about the relative happiness of these two but they're not doing terrible.

{{gwi:497000}}

Also surprised this guy is already leafing out.

• 13 years ago

amccour -

your last pic looks like monadenium ritchiei? If it is, how do you get yours to leaf out? Mine flowers pretty consistently, but never leafs out...not sure why.

Thanks.

T

• 13 years ago

"If it is, how do you get yours to leaf out?"

I honestly have no idea. I only got it towards the end of last summer. I'm kind of surprised given that it's JUST early March, and that it's not even outside. I guess my windows are brighter than I thought.

• 13 years ago

Here are some from my garden during this February and March:

Part of the back cactus garden:

{{gwi:497001}}

{{gwi:497002}}

Our Aloe vera....needing some weeding and TLC:

{{gwi:497003}}

Street plantations, recent photos:

Aloe Vera:

{{gwi:497004}}

Aloe Arborescens: