SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caterwallin

Butterfly Populations and Dispersal

caterwallin
16 years ago

After trying for Purple Martins for 18 years with no success, the more I'm thinking about this butterfly quest, I don't know how willing I am to just wait around and hope that I get the species that I planted plants for. I could die waiting and never get to see them...not that I plan on croaking anytime soon, but well, you just never know. I know I personally would have a problem with me selling butterflies/cats/eggs because I'd worry if the people buying them would actually be able to care for them or if they would end up dying. I don't, however, see the problem with me buying a few eggs from a butterfly farm and raising them here. That way at least I will have them, but I'm wondering if they will stay here to lay eggs of their own or will they fly off somewhere? What are your experiences with butterflies such as Black Swallowtails, Painted Ladies, American Ladies, Giant Swallowtails, Pipevine Swallowtails, and Zebra Swallowtails? Do they stick around or take off for parts unknown? Actually, I'm not sure which kinds I can legally purchase. I don't have PawPaw trees yet but plan on getting some eventually and would LOVE to have ZST here! The map on butterfliesandmoths.org shows that they're here in my state, but yet I remember Shady Oaks saying that they couldn't ship those to me. Can I assume that the only way to get them is to find someone in my state who actually has them and buy/trade for them? How do I go about doing that? I think there are very few people on here from PA, so how do I get in touch with other butterfly people in my state to see if I could get some butterflies from them?

It would be great if the butterflies would stay here if I'd raise the cats here and I'd get to see them here awhile, but if they decide to leave here, I just hope that they would go somewhere that they would be safe. That being said, if butterflies do stay close to their birth site, it would be hard for people like me trying to attract different kinds of butterflies here besides the ones that I already have. If they stay close to where they were born, then how would anyone ever manage to attract new types of butterflies that they hadn't seen at their places before?

I am starting Rue this year for the Giant Swallowtails and of course BST, although I have other plants for the BST. The plants are just teeny tiny, so I wouldn't imagine that they would be big enough this year yet to raise cats on unless it grows really fast. How do you know what time of the year would be a good time to purchase eggs? Let's say that my Rue would get to be a decent size by the beginning of August. It's still warm outside then yet and we don't usually get our first frost until Oct 1-15, somewhere in there. So would that give them enough time to eat or should I just wait until next year to start raising them? I can't afford to be buying a lot, but just to have a few would make me happy. I could at least get to see one in person that way. Otherwise, who knows if any would ever show up here or not.

I am planting mallow for the Painted Ladies and depending on how fast that grows, maybe I could also get a couple of those butterfly eggs. Reading on here about how hoggish the PVSTs are, I don't think I'd want them on my two small plants that I have because one would probably eat them in a day or two. I will probably have to just hope that those show up here on their own because I don't remember seeing a place where I could buy that kind. I could get them from someone in my state, though, right? How would I know how many to get though? I'd have no idea how many PVSTs my pipevine would be able to feed next year.

Oh, another question, I just planted some Maypop seeds and am wondering if that vine will come back here next year or if I have to save seeds and plant them next year. If it dies out every winter, I can't imagine that it would get a very big size and therefore, I doubt if it would feed many Gulf Frits, which is another butterfly that I've never seen here. There are a lot of butterflies I've never seen here. I don't think I had even a dozen different kinds here last year, but I liked having them. I know I'll think of other questions later on. Thanks for any answers you all can give me. I'm familiar with Monarchs now since I raised them last year but don't know much about the others and hoping to learn more.

Cathy

Comments (13)

• tdogmom
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Well, first of all, we are all learning all the time, Cathy. :)

As for the swallowtails...let me say this! I have raised the little buggers at various times and they go into diapause and can 'overwinter' forever and ever (or so it seems to me and my husband). I swear, when people ask me, "How long do they stay in the chrysalis?" I have to answer, "It all depends on the butterfly." I've had PVS pupae overwinter for 14 months. Yep, you read right! I've also had PVS eclose after less than a month. For Giant Swallowtails? Nine months was the longest time I had one in diapause...Anise Swallowtails? (the east coast version of the BST)-seven months, I think, was the longest. I've actually gotten into a weird argument over this whole topic before so I prefer NOT to discuss it with people. ;P (those who don't raise butts, that is!)

It took me, I believe, two years of having Milkweed before a Monarch showed up on its own at my house. Since then I get 'em showing up when I least expect them! I just emailed Penny because we were discussing the potential for inbreeding Monarchs. This afternoon I collected 165 Monarch eggs (I am too tired to look for any more than that! I also found a 4th instar caterpillar.). I noticed THREE females ovipositing. Two of the females were brightly coloured and the third was this old, faded, Monarch that just could NOT have been one of the ones I'd done my experiment on (my experiment was to 'keep' my Monarchs enclosed for three days to allow them to become sexually mature before releasing them outdoors. It appears to have worked since I started finding eggs...45 the first day, 55 the second, and 165 today). I think that the 'old' one may have been the one to have laid the initial eggs and then the other two 'new' ones are the ones started laying eggs as well. Do I know for sure which laid the first eggs? Nope but I don't care.

I did a spot of researching as to the inbreeding situation and found that it would take a LOT of generations of inbreeding before any problems would come forth. The problems would basically 'cure' itself because the inbreeding would result in Monarchs being unable to reproduce.

As for the PVS question: You need a LOT of Aristolochia to feed a Pipevine Swallowtail caterpillar. Initially they don't eat much but when they get to the 3rd instar you'd better watch out! Oh my gosh, as hubby said, "They are kinda gross, Sherry! They are SO big and eat SO much! Are you over-feeding them?!" tee-hee!

Painted Ladies are teeny little butterflies and don't eat much. I've raised them year-round. You can do the same if you want to keep them indoors if it is too cold to release them outside. I did this when one time I was to present a butterfly science class in the middle of winter and it was just WAY too cold to release the little ones. I kept them indoors in a large pop-up (actually, two) and provided them with both nectar plants, a small Lavatera plant, and fresh oranges since they like orange juice. Many lived for over two weeks.

As for the butterflies sticking around? You know, as long as you have the host food, they do tend to hang out. :) Unless they are the migrating types...I've found that the ones I raise often go visit other people's gardens but return to mine to oviposit. :) Makes ME happy.

• mboston_gw
    16 years ago

My experience has been that only a small percentage of the ones you raise actually stay in your yard or come back on a daily basis to feed and lay more eggs. For example, the last couple of summers I have raised LOTS of Zebra Longwings, averaging a release of 2 dozen a day for several weeks in July of the last two years. However, only 3 or 4 would stay so that I could honestly say I saw that many at a time. The others moved on but then that is nature's way, right. The same thing for Polydamas Swallowtails. The cluster of eggs can lead to 15 caterpillars making it to chrysalis but then when they emerge over a few days time, the most I would ever see together would be 5 or 6. Sulphurs tend to be solitary as do Tiger Swallowtails and Pipevines unless of course they are mating.

You come to appreciate the fact that you are sending your babies out into the world to make it more beautiful. And it makes it even more special when you do see several at a time.

• Related Discussions

Can we keep a running tab of JB populations in one thread?

Q

Comments (90)
    I'm still very light on the JB count (thank you Lord!), but one interesting note. The few I have are in love with Ebb Tide. It was in bloom a few weeks ago when they first appeared and I would find a dozen or so on it daily. Then all EBs blooms were shot (helped by the jbs no doubt), then I had very few, some on ZD leaves, my crabapples, and other roses. Now EB is in bloom again, and the JBs are back on it! I thought they loved yellow or white roses. In fact, I do believe that because I got rid of a yellow rose (diseased) that they used to devour, that is why I don't have so many. Plus the drought, etc.
    ...See More

How's your bee population?

Q

Comments (17)
    I saw a few stray honeybees last month onthefly but I see nothing on the holly shrubs in full bloom (they smell great)..the test will be in a few months when the vitex are in full bloom. Then I will be able to assess the honeybee population compared to previous years. Two years of extreme drought has probably had a bad effect on them.
    ...See More

Bee Population 2011

Q

Comments (11)
    Funny you should ask. My hive is abuzz with activity, surviving the winter and spring thanks to a regimen of sugar water. I now treat my bees like pets, and feed them. I do the same for chickens, why not bees? Now that there are thousands, nary a one is interested in my pear or cherry trees, seems most common 'weeds' are more attractive. Not a problem, just happy they survived this year. Hive is on Vashon Island, WA. Here is a link that might be useful: Tall Clover Farm: Making a Beeline for the Sun
    ...See More

The Insect Population Boom in 2010

Q

Comments (13)
    Mosquitoes are a problem sporadically for us, but since we tend not to have the heavier rainfall many of you have been having, they're not much of a problem right now. We do have a huge platoon of dragonflies and damselflies who look for food relentlessly all day long and they love mosquitoes, and we have lots of birds (including Purple Martins) and bats that eat them too. I also put Bt 'israelensis' granules or dunks in all our standing bodies of water...like the rain barrels, the ponds, etc. Suzie, It can be very hard to identify caterpillars since there are over 300,000 species of Lepidoptera worldwide but Susan might be able to tell you what it is since she is into butterfly gardening. On the website linked below, there are additional links that identify known butterflies and moths of Oklahoma. If the damage to your shrubs rises to the level that you feel like you need to treat the caterpillar infestation, you can spray your shrubs with Bt 'Kurstaki' which is a toxin manufactured from a bacteria that specifically targets caterpillars. It is organic and won't harm anything other than the butterfly/moth larvae. It is easily found in stores and the products that have it as their active ingredient include Thuricide, Dipel and Safer Caterpiller Killer. In the veggie garden, I generally just handpick cats off plants because I have so many flowers there that attract butterflies and moths, and even desirable caterpillars like those of the Black Swallowtail, so I don't like to use Bt there. In an ornamental shrub bed, though, I wouldn't hesitate to spray with Bt if the shrubs had considerable damage. Anna, I'm in Love County and have not seen any decrease in fire ants this year (I wish I had), so I don't think the winter affected ours even though our low temps this winter went down into the single digits a few times. We had them all over the place beginning about late March and running through mid-May. Since the rain stopped in our county and the heat cranked up into the mid- to upper-90s, they've gone underground the last 2 or 3 weeks and I'm not seeing them as much, but I bet if it rained they'd pop up out of the ground overnight. I still find them in raised beds in the veggie garden when I'm digging or when I'm pulling weeds, and I still run over an occasional mound when mowing. I only treat mounds in the veggie garden and in my container-grown vegetables, the dog's fenced play yard, and the backyard where our granddaughter plays and I only use organic fire ant killers. We have almost 15 acres, so there's no way we could afford to treat all of it. In the past I have used some non-organic fire ant killers, but because we have a lot of edible crops in the form not only of vegetables but also fruit trees and berry crops, I've stopped using all nonorganic fire ant killers. We have oodles of native ants of all kinds, but the evil fire ants dominate the ant world at our place. We also have red harvester ants in and around the veggie garden, but I leave them alone because they are a food source for the horned toads and because they clean up the carcasses of dead insects. Dawn Here is a link that might be useful: Butterflies and Moths of Oklahoma
    ...See More
  • MissSherry
    16 years ago

Some butterflies stick around and others don't, Cathy. If you have plenty of aristolochia and get pipevine swallowtail eggs and cats, then you're guaranteed having a lot of adult PVSs using the nectar plants close to your aristolochias. Pipevine swallowtails are a regular part of my life - right now, the first of the recently laid eggs are hatching, so I'm finding hatchlings all over the vines, adults are flying all around my garden and house, the males battling by spiraling upward, chasing each other away from "their" nectar plants, flirting with the females the whole time they're laying eggs, etc. Considering the vast numbers of PVSs I release every year, they couldn't all possibly stay here, but many of them do, and those that don't or their offspring might show up in your garden one day!
    Giant swallowtails are becoming regulars around here. This is significant, because when I moved here, GSTs were scarce. I've planted lots of host plants for them, and it's paid off! Again, every GST I release doesn't stick around, but the female that continues to lay eggs here every day is undoubtedly one that I raised, and GSTs are regulars on the nectar plants now.
    Gulf frits are another butterfly that sticks around when you have plenty of passionvines, probably as much so as pipevine swallowtails. Once the GFs arrive and lay eggs on your vines, you can look forward to seeing plenty of them until late fall. They chase each other as much as PVSs, and you'll have some nectaring on your flowers all the time.
    Sulphurs, American ladies, palamedes swallowtails, spicebush swallowtails, tiger swallowtails, red-spotted purples, and others will show up at your nectar plants (or your dog's poop) regularly if you have their host plants in the area.
    There are some butterflies that seem to just "use" you for your host plants, and then leave. BSTs, leafwings, and question marks are like that, and I imagine that red admirals will abandon me, too, after I release the ones that are chrysalids now. This occurs most often with butterflies that don't nectar on flowers. BSTs are the only exception to that - I can't figure them out!
    Go ahead and plant for the butterflies you might get - how can you go wrong?
    MissSherry

• caterwallin
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sherry, I'm probably learning more than you're learning because you already know lots more than I do. :) Good grief, you have PVS that overwintered for 14 months?! I'd have probably thought that they croaked if I'd have had them. I never knew that any could go that long. I guess I'm just used to Monarchs and then think they're about all that way.

I guess I was lucky that the Monarchs showed up here right away after I had some milkweed plants here. They ought to show up in droves this year because I have tons of it ready for them, especially Tropical Milkweed. ;-) I have buds on a few of mine that will open soon. Those plants grow faster than Butterfly Weed and Swamp Milkweed. That has been my experience here anyway. My Swamp Milkweeds in pots are finally deciding to start growing more; hopefully I'll be able to use those to feed the Monarch cats but if not there's always all of the Tropical Milkweed plants. Last year, my first year, I didn't start finding Monarch cats here until the beginning of August. I wonder if that's a usual year for my area? Wow, you collect more eggs in one day that I get in a whole season...165...wow! Do you know about how many you raise every year or don't you keep track of the numbers? It was very interesting reading of your butterfly experiences, and I bet you have lots of stories you could tell since you've raised so many and different kinds.

What you said about the Aristolochia almost makes me wonder if I should keep it covered this year, as I just can't picture it growing enough to feed a bunch of PVS, probably not even one. I'd have to have eggs on it and then not be able to feed them. I guess I'd have to adopt them out somehow and hope that someone would take them. I wonder if most people cover their plants the first year. So you overfeed yours, huh? ;-)

I have mallow growing in containers that I want to put outside soon. I just dug a flower bed for some of them today but didn't get them put out yet. I didn't get Painted Ladies last year on the hollyhocks that I have here (didn't see any butterflies) and was hoping that maybe the mallow would make them magically appear. :-D I have more host foods for butterflies this year than I did last year, and I suppose next year I will have more than I do this year because there are still a few things that I would like to get, mainly a few host plants for various types of butterflies, the Paw Paw tree being one of the plants. I hope some of the butterflies will hang around here. I don't care if some fly off because that might make some other person happy to see them at their place, but I wish I could have a few stay here. It kind of reminds me of Charlotte's Web at the end of the story where Charlotte dies but has an egg sack that hatches out lots of spiders. Wilbur watches in horror as they all start taking off for parts unknown, but to his delight, I think 3 stay behind with Wilbur.

• caterwallin
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mary, It wouldn't bother me if a few stay, as long as some of them stay. I'd just hate to lose them all. Of course, if I have so many nectar plants here, maybe they won't want to leave. ;-)

Wow, you sure did raise a lot of Zebra Longwings! I wish we'd get that butterfly up here, but we don't and I'll probably only get to see it in pictures. Yeah, it does sounds like a big portion of them left, but I'm glad that some stayed. Thank you for sharing your butterfly experiences. I have a lot to learn about different types of butterflies. I would love to be able to host lots of butterflies here and send a lot on their way out in the world to make some other people's days nice with butterflies.

• gwynne2006
    16 years ago

Well, Cathy, I am here in PA as well. I am working with a balcony, at that, so just potted plants for me. I envy everyone who has gardens to work with. Even though I live in the suburbs, I sure dont see many butterflies around at all except for some at the nurseries or I will see an occasional one when I am driving.

Last year I started finding monarchs in the middle of June. They were third and fourth instars and until I read up on it, I didnt know people actually raised them from eggs! And all these years I was checking milkweed looking for large caterpillars and not finding anything.

I had no luck attracting anything to my little balcony garden except some beetle, bees, yellow jackets, and one or two lady bugs last year. I do see some little bugs crawling all over one of my plants this year, I am afraid to find out what they are.

I thought I had a great plan this year. Buy a passionvine, let it grow, then order larva from Country Hill Flutterings or whatever it is called. They have an ad right on the side of the page on this forum. However, they dont seem to be in existance as their phone number is disconnected and they dont answer emails. You mentioned that Shady Oaks wont sell you ZSTs, so I am going to assume that they sell something or you wouldnt have contacted them. My poor passionvine looks pretty pathetic so there goes the idea of ordering larva for it!

So yeah, I do feel for you, wondering if your butterflies are going to hang around. I am just trying to find different larva to raise!

• caterwallin
    Original Author
    16 years ago

MissSherry, I guess I'll have to wait until next year (or possibly the next?) before my Aristolochia will be able to handle some PVS cats gnawing away at it. I'd love to be able to see them this year because I think it's a beautiful butterfly, but I guess I'll just have to be patient. You're so lucky to have them at your place. It sounds like a PVS haven there! :) I bet that is really a sight! If the offspring of your PVS show up in my garden someday, I will make sure to take good care of them. If I don't have enough plants to feed them, I'll find someone who can adopt them and feed them.

I really enjoyed reading about the butterflies that you get there at your place and I hope that someday I can be so lucky. I'm trying my best to accommodate them, but I still have to get a few more host plants, probably next year. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

• mboston_gw
    16 years ago

Caterwallin,
    I am sure some will stay, I do know it is sad when you see one or two of the ones you raise hang around. Then again, Miss Sherry of Mississippi has had a different experience with her Pipevine Swallowtails than I have had.
    So you never know unless you try, I guess is the best moto to have.

• emmayct
    16 years ago

Cathy do you know what variety of Aristolochia you have?

The BST in my garden ignored the rue and went straight for the bronze fennel which was huge and supported many cats.

The rue overwintered and look beautiful, but so far I haven't seen any BST butterflies this year anyways.

I can't wait to see if any of my 130+ baltimore checkerspots stick aound after they pupate. They must be getting close because they are eating voraciously now.

Gwynne, good luck on your venture. Since I have such a small back yard I have to go to other places to see many of the species we get here in CT. Some prefer the edges of woodlands, some marshy terrain. So every week or so I take a hike in a new nature conservency area. With camera in hand I feel like an explorer, looking for new species. It's great exercise.

Maryann

• tdogmom
    16 years ago

Ahhh...my ACHING back! Yep, you heard me.

Hubby and I (he didn't surf today...too many people at the beach because of Memorial Day) went to my school and worked on weeding the butterfly garden by the parking lot. Let me tell you, it was a chore and a half! I had decided to transplant a number of the potted plants I had in my backyard (several Lavatera maritima-my plant of choice for the Painted Lady, two Calotropis gigantea-a plant that the Monarch uses in Hawaii, an Amorpha Fruticosa-the host for the California Dogface, a Senna/Cassia-the host for the Sulphur and Sleepy Orange Nicippe, and a Fennel-host for Anise Swallowtails which is the 'cousin' to the Black Swallowtail).

I had planned on getting to school while it was still overcast. HA! We were out in the full sun for over three hours. The weeds are cleared out, for the most part, and all the plants are in. I will take my camera to school tomorrow and take some shots. I had my other digital in the classroom but could not even move enough to get it and bring it out...

A Painted Lady, some Skippers, loads of Bumblebees (what's all this talk of Bumblebees being dead?!), and even a Carpenter Bee hung out with us the entire time. Oh, of course, the disgusting yellow Oleander Aphid was there along with the Milkweed Bug. :P blech

Yeah, patience is definitely key. I then came home and ended up collecting 122 Monarch eggs. I had to stop since I got tired and the Hockey finals started... :)

Hang in there. That's all I can say. The Buddleia were blooming like mad and hubby was in awe. He has now decided, after our work this morning/afternoon that the Bird of Paradise that has inhabited the corner of MY butterfly sanctuary in the backyard is going to be 86'd and he thinks we need to get a gigantic Buddleia for that corner. Of course, it isn't like I didn't just order five new Buddleia plants and have them in pots right now... tee-hee!

(You will understand after I take some pictures and post them! The parking lot garden's Buddleia ARE spectacular, if I should say so myself! And, I DID prune them back to, like, 2'-3' just not that long ago!!!)

• caterwallin
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Gwynne, That's right, I do remember you saying that you're near Philly, northwest of it. I haven't seen a lot of butterflies here yet. Most of them have been Tiger Swallowtails, but I've also seen Red-spotted Purple, Pearl Crescent, Cabbage White, and some small black butterfly that I'm not sure what it is. Oh, and I've seen swallowtails that are mostly dark and are either the black form of the Tiger Swallowtail or Spicebush Swallowtails or maybe both. I'm not real good at IDing some butterflies. Those two and Black Swallowtails look a lot alike to me and I wish I'd know a good method of telling them all apart from one another.

Wow, if you starte finding Monarch cats in June last year, you beat me by a long shot. I didn't find any until the beginning of August. It was my first year of having my butterfly garden and those were the only cats that I had here. I brought the small cats in last year. At first I brought bigger ones in and then later my eyes got trained to look for smaller ones. I never brought in eggs but might do that this year. What I'm dreading is those darn Oleander Aphids. It keeps me busy just killing them.

I don't know anything about Country Hill Flutterings. I know a lot of people on here talk about Shady Oak Farm and I suppose a few people buy eggs or cats from them. I know you can get Monarch and Painted Lady butterflies, but I forget the other kinds. Oh, Red Admiral is one, but I don't have any nettle. If I were you, I'd email them and find out what eggs/cats they have for sale right now.

I'm sorry if you're having trouble with your balcony garden. If it were me, I'd probably move so I could have a garden. I feel like I have to have a lot of plants, but I know there are people on here who have limited space to put theirs. I hope that you get butterflies and cats this year.

Cathy

• caterwallin
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mary, And try I will. :) I'm determined to get more butterflies this year. I just hope that that's their plan too. Ha.

Maryann, It's A. macrophylla. If I ever have Black Swallowtail butterflies show up here and ignore one plant, they always have some more to choose from. I will have Rue out this year when it gets a little bigger; I already have parsley, dill, and fennel out for them. The fennel I have isn't bronze. That's great that yours supported so many cats. The first time I saw a picture of Rue, I thought what a beautiful plant it is. The only thing that stopped me from getting it last year was that I read about some people having allergic reactions to it. Mine is just small, but so far I haven't have anything like that happen to me. I also read about it smelling so bad. Heck, it just has a carrot smell to me. If you haven't seen any BST yet, then I guess there's hope for me yet. I really wish that I could get that one here. I'd be thrilled to go outside on day and see some cats chowing down on my plants.

I also can't wait to see if any of your BC's stay there at your place. I hope so much that you have some stay with you! It sounds like it won't be long until you'll get to see them be butterflies.
    Cathy

• caterwallin
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sherry,
    It sounds like you had a very productive day. That's great that your hubby could help you with the weeding. For me, that's one of the downsides to gardening. I also get an aching back weeding, and I also can't stand those darn oleander aphids. You'll soon have your school looking like your place. :) Now you sound like me being out in full sun. My hubby was just making a comment on how sunburned I look. I don't think I am though because it doesn't hurt, but I'd better be careful when I do some planting this week or I probably will end up with sunburn.

You know we'd love to see pictures of your flowers at the school. I bet it looks really nice! It sounds like you had some butterflies and bees to keep you company while you weeded. :) Gosh, is there ever a day when you don't collect at least 100 eggs at your place? It always sounds like you really have a lot. I thought I was doing good with 70 Monarchs last year, but that's nothing compared to what you raise. I bet the butterflies at your place will love those buddleias that you got! I wonder if hubby knows about it yet. Hee hee. It sounds like he is really getting into the butterfly mania like his wife, which is very good to hear. My hubby and daughter really like that I'm gardening for butterflies...better than wasting my time trying to attract purple martins all these years and not getting them. I started in 1989. I wish I'd have put all that time into butterflies instead of that.

I'm so anxious to see those pictures you took of the plants. Don't keep us in suspense for too long. ;-)
    Cathy

(You will understand after I take some pictures and post them! The parking lot garden's Buddleia ARE spectacular, if I should say so myself! And, I DID prune them back to, like, 2'-3' just not that long ago!!!)

Sponsored