SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sitali02

Big surprise in my house today-need advice!

sitali02
11 years ago

I don't post often, but love to browse the forum for info, etc. But, now I need some advice! Early last June I collected about 10 BST eggs, of which 9 hatched, grew, pupated, eclosed and went on their merry way. One hatched, grew and pupated, but the chrysalid just hung there. No butterfly. Knowing that BSTs are a species that can sometimes overwinter, I just let it sit. I should probably have moved it into a cold place like the garage, but I ended up just leaving the container on the bookshelf. I really didn't believe we'd ever see anything, but yet I couldn't really throw it away, either.

I just glanced over at the container and sometime in the last hour or so a beautiful female BST has emerged! A year later! I'm thrilled. Unfortunately it's chilly and rainy today the next couple days! Friday is the next nice day...

Should I try to leave it in the container til then? Should I try to put some nectar flowers in there at some point? There's not much yet... I've got lilac, bleeding heart, basket of gold and a couple of purple flowers out in the garden right now...

Comments (8)

Sponsored