SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
docmom_mn_zone_5

Wish my new BF garden luck!

docmom_gw
15 years ago

I was given permission to help convert a friend's volleyball court into a butterfly garden. It's situated in a quite upscale suburban neighborhood where each property is a couple of acres, and they all back up to each other. Every yard is meticulously manicured and weed free. So, the "back yard" is a HUGE open area (10 acres?) very similar to a golf course. My "little" garden (40'x40') is smack dab in the middle for everyone to see. I'm feeling torn between staying as faithful to the butterflies as I can( using native plants in large groupings and herbs and grasses), and trying not to send the neighborhood into culture shock. I've already hauled in a truckload of leaves to mulch, since I'm growing in mostly sand. That already brought several curious neighbors out to see what I'm doing. My original plan was to use wintersown seedlings to plant the entire plot, but I decided I need some mature plants to provide a bit of structure. So far I've transplanted:

New England Aster

Red Milkweed

Obedient Plant

Malva Sylvestris

Daisies (the owners' favorites)

Liatris

Coneflowers

BES

Anise Hyssop

Blue Salvia

I have multiple sprouts of:

Monarda (several types)

BES

Liatris

Malva

Coneflowers

Dill

Fennel

Parsley

Indian Grass

Lupine

Sunflowers

Anise Hyssop

snapdragons

Red Milkweed

Orange Milkweed

Swamp Milkweed

Rudbeckia

Red Salvia

zinnias

If any of you have suggestions of other plants I should try to include, I'd welcome them. What I have so far is based mostly upon what I had available to take divisions of and transplant from my own garden. These were also chosen for the butterflies I know are most common/popular here in Michigan. I'm hoping/expecting to attract Monarchs, Swallowtails, Giant Swallowtails and any others that happen by. What do you think? Thanks for your moral support.

Martha

Comments (2)

Sponsored