SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
geebus_gw

An Australian Winter Update

geebus
13 years ago

Evening Garden Webbers.

It has been a whilst since I posted anything, have been very busy lately so the garden has been progressing in fits and starts. I'll open with a shot of the front of our little cottage. We are about 5 minutes from BroMagic in Palmwoods QLD.

{{gwi:476467}}

The back gardens are pretty much just 600m2 of Brom territory. We have shade, full sun, dappled sun, a 20 meter long rockery & a shade house attached to the yard. So far the only broms we have are the ones that we inherited with the house, I have pupped, pulled, binned, fertilised & repositioned every plant in the yard and still haven't finished yet! A few recent bloomers include...

{{gwi:476468}}

{{gwi:476469}}

{{gwi:476470}}

An oddity is this guy who for the last 12 months had been a flat green and nothing else, in a clump of about 10. Now they have all blushed to some extent. Some in sun, some shade, some in between! It has started to really firm up in the centre lately and the blush is moving out quickly to the edges. Fun to watch!

{{gwi:476472}}

Here is my seedlings which are going well thanks to Nev's instruction on how his process is time lined. They have gone from this.

{{gwi:454736}}

To This!

{{gwi:476474}}

The Sphagnum is growing as well but the plants seem healthy and mould free so I will let it go and see what happens once it warms up again! I hope they don't take a turn in the current cold weather!

Lastly my little trooper who's colour change I have been tracking continues to change a lot. It's gotten a bit rangy (I did fertilise with a nitrogen some time ago when I was a bit of a newbie) so its getting high instead of "dishy" but still holding some colour! I'm hoping with more time and sun it will end up larger but similar to what it was originally.

1. When I Inherited it, Full Sun Grown.

{{gwi:454731}}

2. When I Moved it in to Shade.

{{gwi:454732}}

3. Part Shade, Fertilised, Currently Looks Like This...

{{gwi:476475}}

The front of the house we are going to stick to a cottage theme of sorts but we are at a loss on where to start. I am trying to pick some larger Perennials to set a bit of structure first but i'm at a loss for what I should plant where. I am aiming to have a bit of interest all year round (so far only Gardenia's come to mind) whilst mixing in blocks of annual colour & herbs to give it a cottage feel. I was going to be really brave and try to stick to the theme of the house which is white & purple. Was thinking of using Yellow's and Purples as the main colours out the front where possible. Any advice, ideas are MORE then welcome!

Phew....

Sorry about the HUGE update, I just felt I should let you all know I'm still going and still planting more broms, its taken about 3 months now to clean out the old growth around the yard and I have now got three more gardens to re-plant, one is a great rambling drystone retaining wall that I am really looking forward to covering so watch this space! I hope that your all enjoying your gardens as much as I am.

Regards

Gordon.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
More Discussions