SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
river_crossroads

Can I use this potting mix?

Hi Trudi, hi all,

Left over from last summer I have a bag of Scott's Humus & Manure (treated manure, of course) that I bought at Home Depot. Can I use this for my WS potting mix? Do I need to mix anything else into it, like perlite? I have little storage space & it would help me to use it for my few jugs in my first year WSing. Otherwise the only small bag that I see for sale is MG Potting Mix. Can I use MG straight out of the bag? (It is **not** MG Moisture Control.)

In my wet 8b Central Louisiana drainage is always a problem so I need a mix that drains well. Do I only check to see if the jugs are too dry & need to be watered or do I open them & air them out? Besides the holes in the bottom I've punched 2 holes on the side & tied them shut with string. Version of the pipe cleaner method.

The jugs I planted Dec 21 with the Humus/Manure look too wet, but I don't know if that's because of the mix or the condensation. The soil was the correct "wrung out sponge" moisture level when I planted. One day is 60 degrees day, 40 degrees night, next day might be 40 day and 20 night. Forecast for tomorrow: 49 degrees and 71% humidity. Probably lots of condensation.

Cilantro sown so far. Later tomatoes, basil & zinnias. Thanks for your help!

River

Comments (8)

Sponsored