SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trudi_d

Oh MY! Only 22 days left until Solstice!

trudi_d
16 years ago

Hubs and I spent a relaxing day at the Museum of Natural History. We both enjoyed the exhibits, but a few in particular really started to open my eyes. Often when you go to a museum you look more at the focus of an exhibit instead of the background, but today I found myself looking at the replica plants in the dioramas and I saw things I had never noticed before.

The plants, trees and flowers jumped out at me and I realized that for many people that may not be able to visit a wetland or forest or meadow there are replica plants at museums to see, shown in their proper habitat with murals behind them so they appear naturally sited. I was delighted to see "legends" on the displays so I could identify all the wildflowers. I may never get to see a real desert but today I saw Indian Paintbrush, Silenes, Penstemons, Lupins and Larkspur as they would be in a high mountain desert. I saw basin wetlands with iris and sedges, I saw forests with helianthus and asters.

When we think about planting our own gardens and preparing our seeds we can consider the plants that will create habitats in our gardens. When we grow regional native plants we help nourish the local flora and fauna by providing appropriate types of pollen or larval food. The seeds of our flowers will provide food, our shrubs and trees will provide shelter and resting spots.

I plan to look up many of the plants which were originally native to my Long Island. We have a maritime climate and sandy soil with patches of clay. By choosing a few plants for habitat I can help keep my garden healthy and invite wildlife here.

T

Comments (3)

Sponsored