SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
talley_sue_nyc

Oh, my God! I left the baby on the bus

talley_sue_nyc
15 years ago

well, on the subway.

Shortly before my first kid was born (14 years ago), there was a series of T-shirts or posters w/ romance-comic-book-style drawings (they were probably like Roy Lichtenstein's work) w/ women in various states of distress saying things like "Nucleaer war? Oh, no! There goes my career!"

There was one of a woman lifting up her head from sleep, and saying "Oh, my God! I left the baby on the bus!"

Those shirts always gave me a guilty little giggle, bcs that was my secret fear--tat I'd get absentminded, and focusing on something else, and forget that I had a baby to worry about.

So today, I'm taking my 8th grader to school, as I do nearly every day.

We take the subway 1 stop (a LONG hop), get off, and walk upstairs to a bus.

I get sort of shoved deep into the subway car and start reading the paper--hey, it' s a long hop, and the train is running REALLY slow. I sink into the paper, and by the time I look up, I'm 2 stops past where we should have gotten off.

No Grace on the subway car.

So I get off, travel back, and don't find her.

She's almost 14--she has come home from school by herself many times; and in fact, when this *almost* happened a couple of weeks ago, we talked about what she'd do if I didn't (or cldn't bcs of the crowding) get off the train w/ her. (the solution: she should keep going to school, instead of being late)

I'm sure she's gone upstairs and gotten her bus, etc. In fact, the train was SO slow that by the time I got back to the transfer point, I look at my watch and I'm sure she's at school.

When I got to work, I called home (DH is based at home), and she has called in to say she's safely at school.

My husband pointed out, after 14 years, it has finally happened: I left the baby on the bus.

She wasn't upset, DH said. I believe that, she was probably rolling her eyes. But I bet she'll never let me hear the end of it.

Comments (14)