SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trudi_d

omg!!! just 27 days left to solstice

16 years ago

What are you doing to get ready?

T--looking at her rose seeds with wide eyes.

Comments (18)

• 16 years ago

Looking through all of my seeds constantly shaking my head...cannot make up my mind! Trying really hard to be more selective....riiight!

• 16 years ago

I'm thinking, "Gotta start saving milk jugs, gotta get a bale of ProMix, gotta start planning NOW." I don't think having enough seeds to choose from will be a problem - actually choosing will be a delightful dilemma.

Laurel

• Related Discussions

Countdown ~ 2 days left.

Q

Comments (15)
    Hubby brought my bag of soil into the kitchen yesterday, is all thawed out, containers are ready to go, tomorrow I will be buying my paint pen,and I am set to go. Ahhhhhhhh, almost, still deciding on which seed to sow for "Life" See ya all dancing "Nekkid"under our clothes,under the full moon.Can't wait! cAROL
    ...See More

Site of the Day - March 27

Q

Comments (0)
    Color Flip.....just a silly site to pass some time. Put your mouse in the upper left corner, then click and drag. Here is a link that might be useful: Color Flip
    ...See More

Site of the Day - July 27

Q

Comments (10)
    Mine score was 35. I guess for my age group? I'm 62. It's funny-I found by using my left finger for the "no" key and my right finger for the "yes" key I could do it faster and with no mistakes. Of course since that might be cheating I might have a score of 90! hahahah..... ~Susan
    ...See More

I just read Shaw Floor through Costco reviews OMG! Now what?

Q

Comments (112)
    I can comment on Pergo flooring. I had it installed about 12 years ago through Lowes. We had a very experienced flooring installer put them in. He did lots of prep work first: screwed down all the floor boards prior to installing the Pergo and all my flooring squeaks went away. My Pergo looks as good today as the time it was installed. I have dropped items on this flooring over the years: no dings or scratches. My brother who is a real estate appraiser for expensive properties was surprised it was Pergo and not wood. I can not say enough about Pergo. Best of luck in your decision. Always research and read lots of reviews on any projects you plan to do. The time you spend is worth it❣️❣️
    ...See More
  • 16 years ago

I've already got a good supply of planting mix and I've been squirreling away 3 liter plastic bottles (my container of choice) all year - in addition to the ones I kept last spring that are stored in one of the garden sheds.

I've cleared annuals out of the beds and borders and amended the "soil" there. Dh ordered a truckload of special garden soil mix (10 cubic yards) from a supplier nearby. It's a mix of soil with compost and soil conditioner and looks fantastic. I've been side dressing the perennials with that and adding some of our own (still a bit coarser) compost especially around plants that need a little winter protection. The annual beds get a good bit of that, too, tilled in so it can begin breaking down even more. And I think dh has been sneaking some manure from the chicken coop into those beds as well.

I'm also making a new bed about 12' x 15' as an extension in front of my "woodland path" bed. This will be in full sun and allow me to plant a few things that will give the shadier woodland things more protection. I decided to strip off as much of the sod as possible to use for patching bare spots on the other side of the house. This is VERY labor intensive and has slowed me down a lot but I hate to see the grass go to waste when it is needed for erosion control over there.

And I've been gathering and cleaning seeds from the garden as well as checking all the places that sell seed at this time of year around here. I've sorted through all my seeds and have narrowed down the selection to wintersow enough to fit in a boot size shoe box!

• 16 years ago

I've been collecting milk jugs and takeout containers, sure now that I won't have nearly enough containers for all of the seeds I want to wintersow! I'm a bit smarter this year than I was last year, though (last year being my first year wsing)---I'm trying to prep as many containers as I can as I go along, so I can just plant them up when the mood strikes. I was way, way too disorganized last year. I also plan to be much, much better about labeling this year!

• 16 years ago

Hubby just picked up two bales of ProMix for me today at the farm market and I placed another order with Value Seeds for a few fillers. Now if my husband's coworker can get those seeds for Lillies, Monarda, perennial Phlox, Echinacea, and Scabiosa Ochulera (however it's spelled), I'll be all set. :-)

We were down in the low 20s-high teens last night...seems kinda early to be that cold, but the one good thought I had about it was that it's closer to WSing time!

Linda

• 16 years ago

What kind of echinacea have you had success with?

Need it for butterfly garden but wanted to try smaller version like "Kim's Knee High" because of space constriction.

I've been looking at seed sources over and over again and can't make up my mind.

Today I've been having the "there isn't going to be anything sprouting for me to plant" blues of 1st year doubt all this effort will pan out!

• 16 years ago

I'm ready! Containers are washed and stacked. Seed list is up-to-date. Solstice ceremony sowing seeds (say THAT 3 times fast!) are chosen. Potting soil is in the basement.

Bring it on!

• 16 years ago

Newbie in NJ...please don't worry. This DOES work. It even worked for me and I never had success with seeds before last year (the first to WS for me). Most people who wintersow end up with the same problem in spring....not nearly enough garden space to plant out all the healthy little sprouts bursting out of their containers! Just try it.

• 16 years ago

Hi! I winter sowed two years ago when i lived in MN. I had moved there from Seattle and found it impossible to have a garden there. Someone at the Garden Junk forum directed me here and I had so much fun and a wonderful garden to boot! Then we moved to Houston. Well.. after one year in Houston ...we moved again and now live in WI! I am sooooooooooooooooo ready to WS! Whooooo hoooo!!!
    I've been collecting seeds from freinds and random plants and saving my containors like a mad woman!
    I am so happy to be back at the WS forum
    Betsy

• 16 years ago

I've got bags of potting soil freezing in my garage..note to self..remember to thaw before planting day. Clean pots, milk jugs etc. "Have Jugs, will travel" heh heh. You have to be old enough for that to be funny to you. The best thing happened yesterday. The mail man brought me my seeds from my seed exchange over on the cottage forum. What fun! Gardeners are the best people.

• 16 years ago

I agree Carol... Gardeners are the best people.
    Several years ago my DH was laid off. I am on disability. So many kind people sent me all kinds of veggie seeds so I could have a "Victory Garden". It was heart warming.
    Betsy

• 16 years ago

Uh, I just discovered this forum. What are you guys talking about in 27 days? Someone mind explaining to a total newbie? Thanks, kate

• 16 years ago

Kate: We plant seeds outside, in winter, in recycled containers. For many of us they are buried in ice and snow for months. Milk jugs are probably the container of choice for most of us. We begin on the winter solstice and keep going at least through spring, but many are at it all year round. In spring we have thousands of seedlings peeking out at us... then planting out begins.

Trudi explains it very well in the FAQs, linked at the top of page 1 of the forum. Please see them, then come back with your questions. We love new members. Welcome.

Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: WS FAQs

• 16 years ago

Boy, have you guys have got it together! I'm still trading and probably won't get my seeds back (two of the big swaps) until close to the end of December. I usually like to get my tags ready through the month of December. Each of my seed packets is filed in its own slot so I like to toss a tag in there with them. I found it saves a lot of time when I start planting. I also need some more soil but those darn bags are so heavy I've put it off. I had better get going!

• 16 years ago

newbie_in_nj,

Last year was the first year I recall having success with Echinacea. I had sown Magnus and purple Coneflowers in the past with either container failure or who knows what.
    But for 2006-2007 I did White Swan, Magnus, and Tennessee and they all sprouted like a charm and were planted out.
    I've got my fingers crossed that they last through the winter-- haven't had good luck with keeping Coneflowers in my yard, don't know why.

Shimla,
    No, not so together...I'm only ready because I have such a backlog of seeds collected/purchased over the past two years. I'm gonna clean house by WSing all of them! ...well, maybe not all of them.... :-)

Linda

• 16 years ago

trudi do you sow your rose seed just like all the rest? I have some I want to try. I tried rose cuttings but didn't have any luck at all. I couldn't find any seeds on the roses so I traded for some and excited about planting them.

• 16 years ago

Could I ask how much potting mix you need for all your wintersowing? I've been trying to figure how much I need and where it would fit for the winter in my house. Would a 40 lb. bag be enough for maybe 20 jugs? (Wild guess).
    Dawn

• 16 years ago

I'm hoping for some rain to melt the snow so I can clean up the summer sowing pots :) How did winter sneak up on us like this!!??

The house renovations are overwhelming, so my poor garden was sorely neglected! But if I can get the pots cleaned up, I'd be able to start some seeds after the holiday rush (hopefully).

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath