SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynne48

BST Eggs--the season has begun!

susanlynne48
16 years ago

Yep - found just two on my fennel, but hey, I don't ask for much, you know?

I started planting my milkweeds today - 3 from last year in pots, including A. incarnata and A. incarnata 'Ice Ballet', two curassavicas (just to get started before the seeds germinate), and a gomphocarpus.

I have False Nettle seedlings and growth from last year's planting up everywhere. I have blooming scabiosa, amsonia tabernaemonica (Blue Star--it does bloom reasonably early), Bidens (for the Dainty Sulphurs), zizia aptera (about 2' tall--they shot up this year, their second) and Oxeye Daisy (thanks, Linda--it's blooming its head off). Wild Senna has broken ground and is up a few inches, the passiflora ceurulea has come up (faster than the 'Lavendar Lady' by far).

Also planted my red lobelia (thanks, Sandy!), where I also have False Nettle in the backyard partially shaded area, along with the Cape Fuchsia. Finally, my Button Bush is showing foliage - it is slow, isn't it? All of the aristolochias have foliage - the tomentosa being the fastest, followed closely by the clematitis, then the macrophylla (Sandy, the macrophylla you gave me is coming up!), and then the serpentaria.

I found another patch of cudweed, too! Has anyone tried to dig this up and transplant it elsewhere? I understand it is taprooted, which usually means they don't like to be disturbed.

My Golden Hops is looking gorgeous! The leaves are HUGE compared to last year's, and it looks so striking in the garden. Rock cress (arabis) is blooming a lovely pink, and the pussytoes are about to bloom (looks like mine will be white). My licorice plant (helicrysum Icicles) wintered over despite our freezing rains - didn't die back or anything. Plantains have reseeded and I have lil baby plants in a few places now.

Got out two days ago and dug and added more to the front bed - my aching back! But, I needed to bring the bed to the sidewalk and I'm going to add some small rocks for the Rock Cress.

I have lots of Rue and fennel yet to plant and several other wildflowers like a new Liatris native, Mexican Agastache, Castillejo (Indian Paintbrush), tomatoes and peppers (for the hornworms), Aster oblongifolia, another aster that Sandy gave me (yes, it grew back), Ruellia, Dianthus, Pearly Everlasting. Have yet to get my curassavica seeds in, but I intend to run out tomorrow, in between thunderstorms, and get them and the Moonflowers (got two packages so pray for me that at least one will come up this year!) planted. Oh, and some basil. In between raising butterflies and gardening, I really do want to make some pesto!

Can I grow a buddleia in a very large pot? I'm running out of room!

Let me know how your gardens are growing, too!

Susan

Comments (8)

Sponsored