SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caterwallin

I've made a decision

caterwallin
16 years ago

I am no longer going to stress over the caterpillars. I had been going out faithfully every day looking for every egg I could find. This was taking me probably close to two hours with all of the plants that I have. I found lots of eggs every time I went out to hunt for them. Then I would bring them in and put them with the pieces of leaves they were on on a paper plate and sit it on top of our monitor so I could keep an eye on them for when any would hatch. This meant looking through the leaves every day, which wasn't an easy job considering that they start crinkling up in just a short time. Then the next day I'd come in with another load on another paper plate. I had 3 paper plates sitting here with leaves/eggs. My eyes would go buggy looking through them all. When I'd find a tiny caterpillar, I'd move it into a small storage container with a bunch of other ones where they had fresh leaves they could eat. I got so annoyed because they wouldn't stay in there and I'd spend even more time rounding up caterpillars that got out of the container. I had a piece of screen over it and don't know what else could be put over it that would allow air in and have smaller holes than this screen has. I got so frustrated finding tiny cats crawling on the outside of the container, on the stand it was sitting on, on the computer stand....so I'm done with hunting eggs. As a matter of fact, I think I'm done hunting caterpillars for awhile. Nature will just have to take its course because I feel the summer slipping away and all I'm getting done is caterpillar related, either collecting eggs, rounding up caterpillars, finding them on plants to put them in the big cage, transplanting plants, moving plants, watering plants...most of my waking hours have been devoted to the Monarchs. Those are just the milkweed plants that I was talking about. Then I have all of the rest of my garden that needs to be watered. I'm still attempting to plant things and hope the plants live during this drought that we've been having. I've been spraying poison that is coming up here and there. I've been digging sod for more plants (but I really don't think that planting any more this year would be a good idea), I'm gradually putting newspaper down in sections of the garden and covering that with mulched leaves to try to keep the weeds down. I also have bricks to make paths and landscape fabric to put down under them. I'm behing with deadheading flowers. Last year I had always kept up with doing that with the butterfly bushes and blanket flowers; this year they've been neglected.

My daughter and I just put most of the Monarch cats in the cage on Monday on 21 plants. They've really done a number on them and I'm sure by Monday they'll have them completely stripped bare. These are big swamp milkweed plants in three-gallon containers. I hope the cats all pupate by the time they have the leaves all eaten. I only have four other plants in big pots to give them. I have probably at least 100 in small cups on the back porch, but they have those stripped bare and I hope they grow new leaves. I'm really tired and want to get other things done besides constantly take care of caterpillars. The thought of getting them was fun and I was really anxious for the Monarchs to show up, but now it's turning out to be not so fun anymore and I feel worn out. I don't have any more plants to give them and they're just going to have to find their own food outside and if there's enough, good; if not, then I guess that some will starve, and I'm sure that some will fall victim to spiders, wasps, flies, etc. but the world kept spinning before I got into this and I'm sure it won't stop if I give myself a break from all of this. There's such a thing as trying to help nature, but then there's also doing it to the point of driving yourself nuts over it, and no caterpillar or butterfly is worth that much.

This would have all worked out in theory if the Monarch females wouldn't be constantly laying eggs, laying eggs, laying eggs. They're out there every day laying eggs. I find two, three, even as many as seven on a plant. I had started out keeping cats in containers and putting leaves in for them several times a day. We have about 24 in pupas right now in containers in the living room and we have already released 17 butterflies. We have at least 100 in the cat cage and now I have some cats on the back porch that I've been putting on plants that still have some leaves on them. I hate to pick many leaves off of the swamp milkweed plants in my milkweed bed because I just started them not long ago and they're not very big yet. I figure that they're probably having enough of a struggle with the drought that I don't want to be defoliating them yet. I wish I had more room on our back porch, but I don't. Even so, I don't have any more plants to put in there. Even if I'd have plants outside that were bigger, then I imagine the females would be laying even more eggs, so I'd be no further ahead (I'd almost have to have a second cage, like a reserve cage, to put them in waiting for when they'd be needed). I could barely keep up with 70 cats last year in individual containers, so there's no way that I would attempt to keep that many like that again. This year it wouldn't even stop at that with as many eggs as the females are laying. I can just picture not 70 and not 170 but probably 370 containers sitting around with Monarch cats in them, not that I'd be able to take care of that many even if I'd have enough leaves, but I can picture them laying that many eggs. My goal for this year was to raise 200, not 2000.

Now, the ideal situation would be if I'd have been able to start out with twice as many (or even three times as many big pots as I have with swamp milkweed plants in them). I'd have 21 in the cage at a time and when those would get stripped bare, I'd move the next set of 21 plants in for the next hoard. I wouldn't doubt if I'd need yet a third set of plants. Meanwhile, the first plants would be recuperating somewhere (don't ask me where, because I don't know where I'd go with them that the females wouldn't be laying eggs on them). I don't have any other place to keep plants that would get enough sunlight and that would be safe from the females. So then, assuming that I'd have the space to put the second and third sets of plants, the first set would eventually regrow more leaves and be ready to take over when the second and possibly third sets are eaten. To be able to keep rotating them like that would be ideal. I have at least $150 put into the materials for my cat cage, and I'm glad that I made it, but I didn't have a clue that I'd be getting this many eggs/cats in such a short period of time. If they'd have been spread out over a longer period of time, I could have done it, but as it is, no way. Not only am I not making another cage to sit more plants in, but I'm also not going out and buying another 10+ big bags of potting soil for all of these plants (to transplant the ones in cups on the back porch into big pots), and I'm not buying any more milkweed plants either. I feel I've already gone above and beyond what the average Joe Schmoe out there would ever do for the butterflies and if I don't do anymore this season to help them, then that's just the way it's going to have to be. I might get back to it and then again, I might not. I have other things to do and it's eating away at me that I don't have the time to get them done. If I wait any longer to plant these other plants I have, I might as well just pitch them. Since I'm not pitching perfectly good plants, I'm taking the time on Monday to give them all to a friend of mine who I've already talked to who will take them. I would plant them but like I said, we're having a drought and it's already keeping me more than busy watering the ones that I have in the garden (and some didn't make it because I don't want to run our well dry trying to save plants).

Since I can't find anyone to take any more eggs off of my hands, they will be left on their own. I'm like Gwynne now...Cathy's not going to go bonkers trying to be Super Cat Lady and take care of what seems like half of the Northeast's Monarch population. Uh uh! It feels good letting myself off the hook and I've already gone three days without collecting eggs. It's almost like a compulsion, and I had to break the habit! I did as much as I could and sorry if I couldn't save them all but I am only one person and I have my limits. I thought that it would come to this, and I finally decided to cut loose. Ahhhh, it feels good! I wish you cats out there the best!

Cathy

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting