SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
floridabear

'Antique' X-Mas Cactus......

floridabear
14 years ago

Can anyone lead me in a way to get some cuttings for the 'old....antique' type X-Mas cactus? My family had one,way over 100 years old, every generation took care of it, then I took care of it, and it thrived, till we moved to South Fla. Where it grew great for years,then it slowly started to loose its large limbs to rot, then the small ones,then hurricanes knocked it over and crashed it to the ground. The parts I saved lived for a few years, but then it finally gave up when good old 'Ma Bell' threw a set of phone books at it, back in the days when we had phone books delivered to our houses, that ended its life.

I have been searching for cuttings for nearly 10 years. I bought several at ungodly prices, on EBay, and ended up with tiny little limp cuttings,that I managed to root and get to bloom and they all turned out to be one of the newer types. Not the old types from the late 1800's early 1900's.

I know I put up a posting I think a year or more ago in here and got no where:(, so I am asking again. Maybe someone is growing this type, and has a giant on their hands and can spare some cuttings,small limbs? Or tell me where to look for some.

Thanks for any help. God knows I will never see my huge old cactus again in my life, but I want to leave one growing for my family to have, to pass on down in the family, and have a 100 year old one, come 2010! The new types flowers are pretty, but I miss the light pink flowers that droop over the side of the pot by the hundreds,and the soft drooping stems, and the joy of growing a huge specimen plant for the family to enjoy. Anyone have any idea or help?

Comments (10)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    14 years ago

FB,

Have you perhaps found the scientific name for it? Might it be some sort of Schlumbergia? Having the sc. name for it will likely make it easier to search for on the Web, and at this Forum, Exchange page, too.

• tjicken
    14 years ago

It must be Schlumbergera x buckleyi. I do have a plant, but it is difficult to get cuttings across the U.S. borders.

• floridabear
    Original Author
    14 years ago

All I know is that it is the OLD type cactus, that all the new types came from. On EBay, when I can find it,it is 1 sad small limp cutting for like $15! I have bought it 3 times from 2 different people and they all rotted. Because they are only like 4-6 segments long,and limp and obviously taken from the mother plant and left to dry for a long tine. Not a day or so,but weeks. And I cant afford another $15 cutting. There is one on there now for $15,and it is just called Antique Christmas cactus. I dont know the botanical name for it, of for nearly anything i grow. And I grow a lot of exotic plants. I try to get the botanical name,but use the common name. Put it this way, the type that are around now, that are stiff, and upright,and orange,yellow,blood red,white...are hybrids..the one i want is from way back from who knows when,hey are smaller it's flower is only a light pink, that i remember,and it is more of a hanging plant that upright and it doesnt have the pointed tips n the sides that the new ones have,it is softer. I know it isnt the so called 'Easter' Cactus, that one also has the stiff leaf segments and its flowers are red and shaped like a cone. I do a search for 'antique Christmas cactus online, and i find it all over the place, people talking about how to grow it. but no one says a name or where to get it.

• tjicken
    14 years ago

$15 is far too much for a cutting, even $5 would be a high price. 4-6 segments is a big cutting, usually 1-3 are used.

The original S. x buckleyi (Christmas cactus), with clones like 'Buckleyi', 'Le Vesuv' and others, are hybrids too, but it looks different from the modern Thanksgiving cactus, which is what you have got. They belong to the same hybrid group as the CC, but further hybridization has made them look almost like one of the original wild parents (S. truncata). They are sometimes even called "S. truncata cultivars". Lots of people cannot distinguish between them, despite that usually is very easy (there are intermediate forms too).

It is relatively easy to find in Europe, but I don't know about U.S.A.

• emerald1951
    14 years ago

{{gwi:474097}}
    this is my christmas cactus...
    I am told it is the old, original, it has the round segments
    and the light pink flowers...
    if this is what you are looking for e-mail me...
    linda

• floridabear
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Emerald1951...THAT is the exact Christmas cactus I am trying to get. My old family one that died so long ago,was 3 times that size and had 'trunks' on it! But that is it. I was going to try and figure out how to post a picture of the flower of the cactus I was looking for, but you did it! I found the flower,and saved the picture,but can figure out how to upload onto here.

• User
    14 years ago

Florida Bear,

Pls. read the post by Norma called something like leaving the Forum, where I along w/ a number of others have written DETAILED instructions for posting pix. You first need to have a photo hosting site. Try Photobucket, which is free & for which my comments are designed.

• floridabear
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ATTENTION!!!! Everyone. 'Emerald1951' sent me a lot of cuttings and is in need of public thank you, and to let everyone know how much 'trouble' she went though to do it. So I thought to post a public thank you in here, so that everyone knows how giving and thoughtful she is.

Especially after getting the rooted cuttings,that she insisted on rooting for me,and sending them unwrapped and all the roots fell off. And while I emailed her to thank her profusely for the cuttings, at least I have them finally!!!, she decided to tell me how ungrateful I am.

So....hopefully this public thank you will make her happy,...and after I pay for the postage for shipping of the cuttings, a huge $4.95, that she never asked for, and now insists that I should pay for. Something I WAS going to do to thank her,...BUT she beat me to it, with a snotty email pointing out that I didn't pay for the shipping! And that ALL I did was complained about the roots falling off,...since they were not wrapped in anything. I still thanked her over and over and over for the many cuttings, and in return I get a snotty email. So..thank you again!!! Is that enough? Your payment is on the way. Such a nice swap. I was asked for no money or anything in trade. Never ask anyone again to trade. nothing is free in this world thats for sure.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    14 years ago

"Buy the ticket, take the ride...."

I somehow doubt this note of gratitude - profuse though it is - will do the trick.

I should probably mind my own business...but I've got nothing better to do on
    a Friday e'en and I found your post ironic. I recommend some red wine and a
    relaxing stroll through the cyber-gardens.

Josh

• norma_2006
    14 years ago

Yes Pirate Girl was one of the members who helped me how to get pictures on the forum, six people all helped me a great deal, and I put all of the instructions to use. One actually came over twice. I thanked him with plants, and I will be forever grateful for the help from all. My two geeks were of no help at all and really didn't know what to do. Norma