SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jakeg_gw

White Fuzz on Cactus w/Pic - Can it be saved?

JakeG
13 years ago

I'm afraid its too late but I'm posting anyway in hopes that it can be salvaged.

My teammates and I received small cacti as graduation gifts from a coach (so we could always remember what a pain we were) so there is a bit of sentimental value behind the plant.

I took it to college and its lived for about a year now. I was out of town for a month. When I came back it looked fine but I had to leave again last week for 6 days. I watered it before I left (maybe overwatered?) and when I came back, the cactus looked deflated, there is a small hole in it (not in the picture), and it is covered in white fuzz. When I moved it to take a picture, one of the thorns fell off. The green surface (sorry I don't know technical terms) seems really soft but I'm afraid to poke it too hard.

I did a little google searching and got mixed results. Some sources said it was mold and cold be cleaned and others said it was some sort of insect that killed the cactus. I couldn't find a picture attached to these explanations so I'm hoping that'll help in finding an accurate diagnosis.

Is there anyway to revive the cactus?

Heres a picture (sorry its hard to see - had to use my phone) I can try to take a better one if that would help.

{{gwi:481188}}

Comments (5)