SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ellenr22

OT - How to block GW's ^*&^&*^&^ ads

Some light years ago someone told me how to get rid of the ads at Garden Web. Since that time I had to replace my hard drive, and naturally I have no memory of what the advice was.

I have all the security pop-up blockers. I never get pop-ups anywhere except on GW. It got so bad I had left the site, until - fortunately for me - someone told me how to block them.

Thanks,

ellen

Comments (11)

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

Do you use Firefox?

• origami_master
    14 years ago

I use firefox and I installed an add-on thingy called 'Ad Blocker Plus' I can right click on the image/ad and block the image. There is also a small 'block' tab that pops up above some flash ads that you can click to block the flash ads too.

• Related Discussions

OTS Ads and popups on here- how do I remove them?

Q

Comments (7)
    Do you mean ABP (AdBlock Plus)? If it is installed and you're still getting pop-ups, follow Woohooman's advice and install the FREE Malwarebytes, then run a scan. Get it directly from its home site, and make sure you get the FREE version, not the Trial or paid(Premium) one... Here is a link that might be useful: Malwarebytes
    ...See More

GW-Ad Servers Delaying Browser?

Q

Comments (3)
    I think it was last Thursday while at work I tried to visit here and a good size Flash video delayed IE8 loading. I just left the site rather than get involved. When you connect here be vigilant of all the loading content by watching the connected/transferring report down on FF's Add-On bar. It is interesting how much ABP blocks. DA
    ...See More

How to get rid of all these GW pop ups

Q

Comments (10)
    the very best way to get rid of all of them including the new inline ads GW warned about putting on recently is to use firefox browser with the adblock plus add on and the easylist subscription, it blocks them all, I see no ads anywhere. Firefox Adblock Plus 1.1.3 once you have that then go to the easylist page below, go to the 2 yellow lines for easylist and easyprivacy to the right where it says add to ABP click there and it will be added to your adblock plus and you will be all done EasyList and it is a very good idea to have at least 2 browsers on every pc in case something should happen to your IE browser.
    ...See More

Is anyone else getting the page blocking Lancome ad?

Q

Comments (25)
    To those using Firefox, go to Tools (located on the Firefox toolbar) then click on Options. Open the Content Tab; the first box will say "Block pop-up windows". Make sure the box is checked. I use Firefox with Adblock Plus (and have the "block" box checked!); I never see ads. I understand the need for advertising but I only have basic DSL (all I can get in my area; until 3 months ago I was on dial-up) and only have so much time on the computer; I refuse to spend my limited online time waiting for ads to load. Hope this helps.
    ...See More
  • flower_addict88
    14 years ago

My internet explorer automatically blocks all pop-ups all the time without having to download anything extra. I can temporarily allow them if need be.

• stlgirl
    14 years ago

Somebody posted this on the seed exchange forum awhile back. Luckily I clipped it. Lots of other useful info as well. Hope this helps.

-StLGirl

Here is a link that might be useful: Ad Block and other neat stuff

• ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks!
    Sorry for being so cranky, and thanks for nobody telling me I should post this elsewhere! :) [I know I can always get an answer here.]

I forgot to say, I have firefox, altho I am thinking of switching back to IE. My first experience w/IE was so bad, but over time things change, and when I upgraded FF, I found some things that I was used are no longer available, or at least I can't find them.

I will try these solutions.

Thanks!

ellen

• vera_eastern_wa
    14 years ago

....same as oragami. I love it :)

• aliska12000
    14 years ago

I have Firefox and need to let it do the upgrade, the ads have been plaguing me, too, so thanks for the ad on info. I don't like to jump in and do some things right away because it's riskier than waiting and see if other users have encountered bugs. I don't wait to do Windows updates or my AV ones though any more, just take the risk that they might conflict with something else or have bugs.

IE8 is a pain as was IE7. It forces me to open at MSM, not a blank page like I want. Trying to fix it the way you are supposed to be able does NOT work, have even tried it from the control panel. You have to follow more complicated procedure than I want to risk which is why I rarely use IE8 any more except for youtube videos I want to save. It's super easy to just copy the .flv file out of the cache after you've played it compared to other methods.

Do you have any ideas how many cookies it dumps on you just opening the thing and forcing me to MSM? So I'm clearing them out manually at least once a day or after each use. I noticed their way leaves things behind even if I clear all!

But I clear my cookies regularly out of FF, too, and just letting it sit open with a blank page, it still seems to dump a cookie on me, usually a google one. I don't know why I have to put up with so many cookies, especially for a product I've paid for.

I've got a new imac with the huge screen. It's hard to get used to after being able to whisk through everything I do (a lot of different apps) on Windows, have to struggle to find out how to do the simplest task. I hate the keyboard and mouse. But Safari may block ads, don't know. I'd push myself harder to get used to it, but I was going to run Fusion so I can run all my Windows apps on it. Not only would I have to get that loaded and running, but then I'm facing years and years of Windows updates! Plus I would have to have AV protection on the Windows side. So I've really been procrastinating, know I can buy a MS mouse and get a different keyboard, looks slick but can't type on it, am a fast typist and made too many mistakes, takes me forever to try to correct them all.

I cannot even find a simple little program on it to make notes comparable to Wordpad! So I had to open a gmail account to save info I generate on it and want to save. So I kind of regret buying it even though the 24-inch screen is really incredible.

• aliska12000
    14 years ago

Here is what you get with Firefox, GW, and cookies. I cleared them out. Then I came back to GW main page, forums>WS, click on this thread. Now before the post will take I had to log in, forgot to do that first.

The first screen capture shows how many cookies one visit to GW will dump on me, about 23 of those folders with the plusses with more if you expand those!

The second screen capture shows what it looks like after I cleared them all out again.

I don't mind one cookie and a signin saved cookie, but is it right to dump all those others on me? Just about every site I visit on the web does that, scads of cookies. A couple just two folders, but most look like what I posted here.

{{gwi:446493}}

{{gwi:446494}}

• Pamchesbay
    14 years ago

aliska12000:

After a lifetime as PC user, I got frustrated. My laptops were obsolete and had to be replaced often. In addition to new computers, I had to spend more money an AV programs.

I finally decided to change to a Mac. Because I use many different programs, the learning curve was steeper than I expected. I persevered and am so glad I did.

DH continued to use his PC, and made sarcastic comments when his computer malfunctioned, and all the annoying things that PC users have to endure. I didn't respond (didn't need to - he saw that my PowerBook never locks up, shuts down and starts up in seconds). Six months ago, he bought a Mac -- and he'll never look back.

My Powerbook is going on five years now (a record)! I love her. I thought about buying a newer Mac with more memory, faster, I could run Windows programs on a newer Mac (but WHY?).

But I decided to keep this one for another year or two. She never lets me down. Not once!

Be patient - you will find that it gets easier after a few weeks. And you will never go back!

• aliska12000
    14 years ago

pam, thanks so much for the encouragement. It's not that I can't do it, I had to learn how to keep my pc going, just am balking at the huge change.

I could run Windows programs on a newer Mac (but WHY?).

Why? My Photoshop CS2 is pc only but Adobe will let me switch, then I have to remove it from my pc. Now if I have a laptop, they'll let you have one copy on each, very strict. You don't dare cheat because the software communicates with Adobe for updates. Plus I upgraded to CS4 and that is only for PC, can work that out with Adobe. I got Lightroom, and luckily both pc and imac are on the cd for that but I can't have both. It won't work on my pc anyway because I don't have enough RAM plus there's a new upgrade out already!

I have too many apps that are Win only, my genealogy program, Rootsmagic and an older version of Family Origins, enormous work invested in that (no Mac version yet). Winzip which I need a lot (maybe there's something on the imac for that). My fractals program (don't use it much any more). Couple other ones I guess I could live without. I've already spent about $90 on Fusion, maybe they will refund that, should check it out. Then I have to decide before a year is up if I want to spring $200 for a 2-year contract for apple care or wing it and use the web, my manual and intuition. Then should I invest in the Time Machine for backup? I don't think so, will burn dvd's and use external hard drives and do it myself.

Then when my pc finally crashes, maybe I'll get a notebook or just get it fixed and keep both running, so much to decide.

Another thing I'm dreading is file transfers, especially my huge photo files. The geek guy from BB got both my computers on the web via a router but just could not get them networked so they'll talk to each other. That means I'll have to run everything onto my external hard drives and hook it into a USB port on the imac and transfer it that way, might be very slow. Will have to learn how to make a file structure for my photos like I like to store them. So many little details to consider.

I have decided to just scrap the fusion even if they won't refund me my money because it's just another hassle and I have a contract with Norton AV for my pc but would probably have to pay double to have it on the imac. There's better AV software out there, but Norton once I got used to it works very well for me.

I know once people get going, they love their Macs. I do love that big screen, resolution is great, and photos on it look fantastic, color is astounding. The only thing I don't like is that web pages look like typewriter paper (portrait mode in photography), not wider and shorter like I'm used to. Maybe I can change that somehow.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

Aliska, I have a Mac too. I found the first few months a little frustrating making the change after having windows run pcs for years. But I can't think of a better decision I have made in recent years. I use Firefox, but I have not upgraded in quite awhile. I'm still using version 3.0.8. I was having a problem with something and went to the Firefox website and saw a lot of people complaining about the newer versions, so I am waiting to see if they come out with a better upgrade. Right now with firefox, sometimes it let's an ad through on GW, where it never did before, but it also has a tab marked 'block' and if I click on that on the edge of the ad, it allows me to ad a filter that removes it. So I am still doing okay. I also have gone into 'preferences' and set my system up that it removes all cookies every time I log off. That saves me a lot of time.

As for getting used to using a Mac, I live 5 minutes away from one of their stores and I went in for help in the beginning. I can call in the morning and make an appointment, sometimes for a couple of hours later and they helped me a LOT when I was first getting up to speed. They also have classes on different topics that you can sign up for that will help you learn certain aspects.

But to tell you the truth, once I got everything set up and transferred onto this laptop, I probably have called tech support twice in 12 months for minor things. My laptop just runs without problems. My DH still has a windows pc and the difference is like night and day to us both. He hates to touch his machine and so do I.

Sponsored