SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynne48

Fertilizing Native Plants

14 years ago

I have probably asked this question before, but I just got finished clearing the garden of winter's debris, and was thinking about whether I should fertilize my milkweeds, false nettle, cassia hebecarpa, coneflowers, pipevines, etc. Now, I usually do apply chicken manure to my pipevines, but am wondering in particular about the Swamp Milkweed. I also don't generally fertilize plants in the Fabaceae family because they kind of have a "built in" fertilizer plan since they are nitrogen fixing plants. I also haven't fertilized my asters, since they seem to spread without any help from me.

What about fennel, does anyone fertilize their herbs like fennel? or Rue?

Does it depend on whether these natives grow in naturally rich soils like woodlands, where the plants get nutrients from the layers of leaves that provide a natural compost as they break down? This would present an issue where I would need to research the native habitat of certain plants. I think this probably applies to plants that grow in woodlands and forests. For instance, I have some native arisaemas and I know they like to grow in nutrient rich soil.

And then there's the question of those plants that are found in competing plant situations where there is little available nutrients for them. Would they grow better without competition, or would they do better in organically supplemented situations, e.g., adding manures. Or, would that likely be a death sentence for them. I'm thinking of plantago for instance, usually a lawn weed.

I'm just interested in finding out how you guys handle your native plants and appreciate your input.

Susan

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!