SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shoregrowin

Solstice sowing and paying it FORWARD!!!

shoregrowin
14 years ago

This is a long post, sorry, but I have lots to say!

I had my coffee Thanksgiving morning while reading the winter sowing forum (normal day).

There was a post from Ollierose about the solstice sowing. I saw Trudi's new Solstice page and was blown away!

Just beautiful Trudi!

I was overwhelmed with a feeling of nostalgia. Remembering when I found GardenWeb and Winter Sowing in 2003...

OMG... I was a hot mess. Had just been out caring for my sister, who had serious health issues. I came back from Indy and found this amazing place that became a refuge and a sanctuary. I started that Winter Solstice sowing like a lost soul needing an anchor and I found it. Winter sowing truly kept my sanity intact. Then the bomb dropped. My sister called with the news she was terminal...

I sowed and sowed in between trips to Indianapolis to take care of her. My mother in law here in Delaware was also in declining health and I was in a terrible place of being spread so thin. In 2007 we lost my dear husband's and my ma, Betty in January and my sweet sister Dusty in June. I disappeared for a long while from here. And oh my Lord did I winter sow some seeds of remembrance for my lost loved ones...

Whew... what brought me back was this place. People who truly care and want to bring beauty to our world. We rejuvenate each others spirits and share a common bond.

When I read Ollierose's post, I felt a need to offer thanks to winter sowing. I looked further on Trudi's website and read about how the solstice is a time for celebrating the return of the sun. Warm, loving light to germinate those seeds we sow. Life affirming. Necessary stuff.

I didn't hesitate a second, I finally made a donation to WinterSown.Org that was long overdue. I can't say enough of how good that made me feel...

I am not soliciting donations in any way- understand that, please. I just wanted to nudge everyone to reflect on what winter sowing has done for you and you see what your heart tells you to follow up with. Times are tight all over, I realize. You can make a gift of your gratitude by helping your neighbor carry in groceries. You can feed the birds this winter. Light a candle or a fire for someone you lost. Pay it forward in whatever fashion you can manage.

Interesting tidbit- the Latin for Solstice is Sol= sun and Sistere= to stand still. I'm getting "SOUL SISTER" from that, WOO HOO! (Sorry Token, it's Latin bro, I wasn't in charge!)

Trudi, when the sun stands still on solstice, I assure you, I will be nekkid under my clothes! That was so funny! LOL!

Love y'all,

Shore

Comments (55)

Sponsored