SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
autumnfairy

Monarch Chrysalis

autumnfairy
15 years ago

A few days ago I saw about 20 or so monarch catepillars on my milkweed. I found them because I was taking pictures of the monarchs. All of them dissapeared except one...which was hanging upside down on a milkweed branch. I wanted to watch the process of the catepillar turning into a butterfly, so after reading online, I went to the store to get a container. By the time I got back, he/she had already formed its chrysalis. I decided to go ahead and cut the milkweed towards the bottom (being very careful not do disturb the chrysalis). I put him/her in the plastic jar with a paper towel on top, secured with rubberbands. This is the second day I have had it, and all seems well. The chrysalis is still green and still hanging. Do you have any advise for me? I did get a pretty large container, with more than enough room for the butterfly to stretch when it emerges. I don't want to cause the butterfly any harm. I just want to photograph the process. So far this has been a very rewarding experience. TIA!!!!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm