SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cactusmcharris

Wierd Western Weather Worries Won

It's been a strange winter - we haven't hardly any snow here (there's usually a snow pack that stays here until March), we recently had a week where even the nighttime temps didn't go below freezing.....but enough about the weather on a plant forum.....

I write to inform you that of the three Cyphostemmas in my care, two of them are in bud - it's my local version of global warming, and I don't even have Al Gore staying here. Only C. juttae shows no signs of breaking its dormancy, but the other two (one of which is Miles Anderson's progeny (yes, of www.miles2go.com) 'Fat Bast#$d') have the tiniest bundle of grape-leaf-looking light green growth. These plants shouldn't be waking up for at least another 30 days up here, yet there's definite signs that the alarm clock went off early.

So here's my question - do any of you pachycaul/caudiciform owners deliberately abort early growth on your plants if you think that it's too early for them to be growing? As it is, these plants will go outside in late April/early May for the summer, and they shouldn't have growth on them now, but in late February/early March, but their clock tells them it's time.

I'm curious about the criteria for doing so - there hasn't been anything else that's changed in their care for the last few years that I've had them - these plants are but saplings/twigs and aren't going to be mature for at least 10 years, IME.

Comments (14)