SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aseedisapromise

how much rest does an amaryllis need?

15 years ago

Last Christmas I bought an amaryllis bulb at the hardware store (of all places!) because I remembered how my dad had grown one one year when I was little and I remembered how cool it was watching the scape grow so fast and so tall! Anyway, it performed admirably growing and blooming for me right after I bought it. I tossed the kit and potted it up in a larger pot with better soil, and after it bloomed I put it out on the front porch for the summer. It was pretty cool here in early summer, but I was surprised when in August it bloomed again. I watered it some all summer, and brought it in when temps were threatening to freeze this fall, and it is now blooming for a third time this year! My question is, is this okay? Everything that I read says that they need to rest and be repotted and dried out and so on. I never did this because although a few leaves have yellowed now and then, it hasn't seemed to really be shutting things down, and I'm not really trying to make the bulb bloom at any particular time, I just wanted it to grow and be happy. It seems to keep at least four nice sized leaves on so far all the time. Is the drying it out and storing it a thing you do to make it bloom at a particular time, or is this necessary for good growth or something?? My pot might be a little large, as it is now getting little plants around the sides. These amaryllis plants seem to me to be a lot of pretty for very little fussing. No wonder you are all so enamored! I laughed and laughed during my research to read about "chad"--chronic hippeastrum acquisition disorder! Ha!

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living
More Discussions