SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynne48

Interesting Host Plant List

susanlynne48
17 years ago

This is from the University of Texas Entomology Dept. It's very comprehensive IMHO, and is a list for butterflies in central Texas. Probably could extend that some into Oklahoma and southern Texas as well.

Another interesting thing is the number of species listed for the host plant - many of which I've never heard of....duh!

The second really interesting thing is that there are host plants listed for a lot of common butterflies to all of us, but ya never woulda thought they could be a host plant. For instance, Gaillardia pulchella is a listed host plant for the lacinia patch (similar to the Bordered and Crimson Patch). Never heard of the lacinia patch, but I wonder if it would work as a host plant for the Bordered Patch in Oklahoma - will have to see.

It also lists Yarrow as a host for the Painted Ladies. Anyone heard of that as a host? I haven't.

Also lists Cosmos as a host for the Dainty Sulphurs - had not heard that either.

Flame Acanthus is reflected as a host for teh Janais Patch - ever heard of that butterfly?

And......here's a good one - CATALPA as a host for the Tiger Swallowtail!!!!!! Never heard that.

Have you ever heard of a BLACK buckeye? Agalinus heterophylla is the host for it.

Spigelia for the tropic Queen????

Cotton for the Painted Lady?

Flax (linum) for the variegated frit?

Hawthorn (Crataegus) for the gray hairstreak, banded hairstreak, tiger swallowtail, viceroy, red spotted admiral?

Anything that is "news to you" on this list?

Susan

Here is a link that might be useful: Central Texas Butterfly Host Plant List

Comments (5)

Sponsored