SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
junpherz

Quetion of Tillandsia pollination

junpherz
15 years ago

Hey Everyone,Though I have tried to search the question through the internet for times, ha' failed to reach to a wanted result as yet..

Thereafter,I pop this question here:

How do the Tillandsia pollinate?---Do they self-pollinate?Will all Tillandsia or only a part of species do self-polinate .??---if so, should it self-pollinate in one,the same bract sepal?? or have to be crossed with another bract sepal in this mother plant on the same inflorescent?----If not, may it need ,at least 2 plants, to fruit the vigorous SEEDS then?

For instance, a T.ionantha which doesn't flower much at one time,probably flowers ONLY One Bract each day...The thing is you can't seem to have another flower at the same time in the same plant(you don't have any "stored powder " as well).....my question(No.1) is :Can I use the "powder" to fertilize the "pistil" all on one bract?? and if it fruits,will the seed germinate successfully with good result(pretext : sow in good conditon)??

Question No.2: If a Tillandsia Ionantha this time has 2 flowers (Bracts) blossom at the same time,Can I cross these 2 flowers with a brush to fertilize each other on the same mother plant?? Am I receiving a good result of seed germination if provided good conditions as well.

I prefer pure-bred sp. but I have very limited plants that most of them only one of each species in stuck here....that's why I ask a question like this. I long for propagating my plants and don't want to waste the resource of time and of plants when they get to blooming period.Here,I would like to "SOS" all of your experienced guys.

Additionally,Do you know what the best way to get Vigorous and Energitic Seeds is??Does it ,the way to pollinate plants vary from different species,likewise??

Any answer will be much appreciated .

Thanks in advance.

Ralph

Comments (7)

Sponsored
More Discussions