SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisaclv

A visit to Hatsumi's garden

LisaCLV
16 years ago

This past weekend our local brom society held its meeting at the home of one of the original bromeliad collectors and hybridizers in Hawaii, Hatsumi Maertz. Although I have not been actively involved with the group in a while, I thought it would be a good excuse to pop in and see Hatsumi, who is the one person I credit most with getting me started down this *ahem* dubious path.... ;-)

She kindly gave me permission to post some pictures, so I thought you might enjoy seeing them. It's not a big yard, but every available inch is filled with growing things. Tillandsias drip from several large Kalanchoe beharensis:

{{gwi:483646}}

and cover the Plumerias:

{{gwi:483647}}

I'm not sure if this is Neo. Justin's Song or another correia-araujoi hybrid, but I did meet her grandson Justin, for whom the plant was named.

{{gwi:483648}}

{{gwi:483649}}

She told me she is trying to create a wall of T. funckiana. There's also some blooming Hoh. pennae in there, if you look hard:

{{gwi:483650}}

More Tillandsias on the outside of the shadehouse:

{{gwi:483651}}

and still more on the inside:

{{gwi:483652}}

From the back patio, the property is terraced down a hill, and the lower two levels have small shadehouses on either side of the steps. This one holds a rainbow of Neos:

{{gwi:483653}}

More Neos on the patio. She's done many Marble Throat hybrids:

{{gwi:483654}}

Our hostess next to a driftwood construction of Tillandsias and Billbergia Hallelujah:

{{gwi:483655}}

and a close-up of T. concolor, for Gonzer:

{{gwi:483656}}

A big clay pot holds Bill. Baton Rouge and Neo. Fireball:

{{gwi:483657}}

The front of the house is much more hot and sunny than the back, but Neo. johannis can take it. This is for Japie:

{{gwi:483658}}

Of course I couldn't leave without finding something for Stephania, Bob and the spiny-lovers. Unfortunately it's an unnamed seedling:

{{gwi:483660}}

Comments (16)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus