SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
terrene_gw

Native Milkweed only??

terrene
15 years ago

I recently read a website that sells Asclepias plants and it recommends that you only plant Milkweeds that are native to your "flyway". It says that Monarchs evolved and adapted to the alkaloids present in these particular species of Asclepias and that "alkaloids from the wrong milkweed can expose the butterfly to predation".

I love Asclepias and mostly plant species that are native to the northeast US, however I now have some seeds for Asclepias asperula, A. eriocarpa, and Gomphocarpa physocarpus. These are native to Texas, California, and South Africa respectively. Okay, not even close to New England, so I wonder if these species will even grow well here, let alone host some caterpillars.

Do you think there is a problem with growing Milkweed that is native to another flyway or faraway region of the world? Would A. asperula or A. curassavica, for example, be okay here in Massachusetts if it grows in the same flyway?

IF these exotic milkweeds grow, and a Monarch lays eggs, I suppose I could collect the eggs and raise them on A. incarnata or syriaca....?

I would love to hear people's thoughts on this.

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH