SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dondeldux

Help!! Dreaded red spots on most of my seedlings!

Hi Everyone! I've just discovered you guys and I've been reading all the posts (I'm up to page 58 and I'm just fascinated with all the knowledge you guys have! I'm loving every minute of it and I've been on the computer almost constantly for the past week! I was going to wait to post until I figured out how to post photos, my pictures are in Picasa, but I just discovered I

have (I think) Stagnospora Curtissi on almost all of my seedlings! Dozens and dozens of them! Some of them are good sized from the summer of 08 and the rest are small from last winter. The larger ones have a red ulcer like spot on them and it is already getting soft and mushy. I am prepared to throw all of my seedling away. My main concern is for my 20+ older Hippis. Some I've had for several years and I'm terrified that it wil spread to them. All my plants, seedling and older plants, spent the summer out side. Some on the deck and the rest in another location all getting many many hours of sun. My older bulbs all are large and firm and I've let them dry out for the past few weeks and am waiting for the leaves to turn brown, take them out of their pots as I do every winter and put them in our furnace room which usually maintains them at the proper temperature. Is there some treatment I should give them like dipping them in a peroxide or bleach

solution or a dusting of Captan to hopefully prevent any red bloth from infecting them over the winter?

Also about a week ago I bought 5 big fat bulbs at a local nursery and I'm afraid the soil I potted them up in might have been comtaminated with the soil from the repotting of some of my seedlings! Should I repot them in fresh soil and if so should I treat these new bulbs with anything before repotting? I bought 2 Papilios a Vera, an Exposure and a Flair! I have 9 bulbs coming from WFF sometime in November. I'm sorry if I overloaded you guys but I'm hoping someone will be able to help me since you guys seem to know everything! I just love all the beautiful pictures and hope to contribute myself when I figure it out.

I thank you for any advice you can give me. Donna

Comments (3)

Sponsored
More Discussions