SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ambbutterfly

Critter problems?

ambbutterfly
16 years ago

I want to ask before the season gets here and hopefully nip the problem in the bud. We have deer and groundhogs around here and I was wondering if anyone else has those problems and what they do about it. With all of the plants that I'll have planted outside this year and the garden expanding further and further away from the house as the years go by, I'm afraid that one of these days I'm going to have animals munching on my flowers. Last year I saw a groundhog hanging around in the spring but didn't notice it doing any damage, but about in June or so I noticed it going under our one building and saw it had babies. I had seen it the year before too but at the time it was staying pretty far away from the house. Now that it has come down close to the house, I'm afraid that I will continue to have problems with it. Last year it was munching on some of my plants and I was so mad and didn't know what to do. Someone suggested calling the game commission but around here I know they aren't going to come out and relocate a groundhog. Probably a lot of people have a groundhog and I can imagine that it would be a full time job for the game commission if they'd respond to every nuisance animal call. Is there a way to keep the groundhogs and deer away from my plants? I assume that sprays would be bad for the butterflies and cats. I can't afford to put up fencing around everything. Besides, someone told me that they had fence around their garden and even had the fencing down in the ground a foot or two and the groundhogs still managed to dig their way in. If I get mad enough, I guess I could bring myself to shoot the groundhogs (would have to borrow a gun), but it's not like I can just go and shoot a deer. Even if deer were in season, I just couldn't kill a deer. Without buying any traps or fence and not spraying, what else is left to do?!

Sorry if this is a little off topic but it does involve all of my plants that I have planted for the butterflies. Since this groundhog has been around here for several years now, I assume that it will come back again and I want to try to avoid having a problem with it and the deer, which I think will also be back because they are here periodically.

Comments (9)

Sponsored