SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
castiliana

Construction next to Joshua Trees. advice?

18 years ago

This winter we are renovating what very well be one of the oldest homes within 50 miles. The property is bare of vegitation with one very dramatic exception. I has a pair of the largest and oldest joshua trees I have ever seen in town.

The trees are planted very close to what used to be the front door (soon to be the back door). They are very spawling, very large (I am guessing 15' tall and 20' or so in diameter each as the two span the entire 43' wall). We need to get in and arround them to remove some dead cypress trees, as well as erect a block fence within several feet of them (they are very close to the new property line.)

My concern is how sensitive these beautiful specimens will be to this type of invasive construction so close to them. There is already a short retaining wall roughly where the new wall is suposed to be, but I am wondering if thier roots have extended far below the existing wall and fanned out to the edge of the property line in the last 50+ years that they have been there (they may be as old as 120+ years).

If there are any az landscapers out there familiar with this type of situation I could use the advice. While I would really like the block wall to separate the home from the neighboring comercial property and busy street, its not worth cost of these two trees.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus