SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christinmk

What do you think of my seed database idea?

Hey all! I have come over here a couple times to ask questions and many times to lurk or look up info. You guys seem like one of the friendliest and most open-minded groups on the forums, so I thought I would post my idea here and see what everyone thinks. I figured you guys would be nice and let me down easy if you thought it was stupid, LOL!!

Earlier this year, during winter sowing time, I came up with the idea of creating some sort of collection of information on what plant cultivars (of all kinds, perennials, annuals, shrubs, etc) come true from saved seed. There doesn't seem to be much information online about this, not compiled into one convenient place at least. It takes a lot of searching to come up with any sort of answer, if at all.

Now I do try and go into all seed starting (especially from saved seed) with my hopes not up too high about it coming true and looking like or even similar to the parent cultivar. Usually I try and just have fun experimenting. Oftentimes I don't even mind if they are a bit different looking. But occasionally I would REALLY like to know if something will come true from seed, particularly if it is something that gets huge or will take a number of years to bloom from seed. In those cases it would be simpler for me to buy a nursery plant instead of taking the time raise it from seed and seeing what it turns out like. That is when I started a table on my Word Doc on plant cultivars I know (from my own experience) come true from saved seed. Then I started wondering if this might be of interest to anyone else and even if others would want to contribute and help expand this list. Knowing how many of you have started plants from seed (and for much longer than I have!) I'm sure it would be pretty incredible and so useful!

But what do you guys think? Good idea or not so much (go ahead and be honest, lol!) Would anybody be interested in seeing and perhaps adding to my list? If so I can polish it up and post it soon. If not I totally understand ;-)

Thanks much!

CMK

Comments (17)

Sponsored