SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paxfleur

What are you ordering? And from where?

paxfleur
15 years ago

Hello everyone! =) It is that time of the year again. I'm sure many of you all have been busy clicking and shopping away online for new and exciting selections available this season for the upcoming winter months. I was trying to hold off on shopping at John Scheepers this year till November but checked today just for fun and noticed Gervase and Lemon Sorbet had already sold out for this season(bummer! :p).

So for all you amaryllis lovers (new and returning alike), what new and exciting varieties have you ordered or will order and what/where are your sources? I think it would be great to form a list of good, reputable, and reliable sources (online and mail order) that we can refer to for this season. Please do share any thoughts, advice, feedback, and/or comments that you may have so that we have know what varieties to look out for and who to avoid this season.

I'm going to be placing orders with Royal Colors and John Scheepers in the next week or so for:

Royal Colors:

Ambiance

Jade Serpent

Rosalie

John Scheepers:

Zombie

Snow White

Rozetta (maybe)

Alfresco

Trentino

Dancing Queen

All of my amaryllises (+60) are potted in terracotta clay pots so moving them in during fall and out during spring is a huge pain so I'm trying to limit my selections this season.

Please do share with everyone what you are adding to your collection this year and what are your top sources. =)

Happy gardening and may nobody have mislabels this season *knock on wood.*

P.S -- Is anyone carrying Thai Thai this season in the U.S?

Comments (56)

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I was very impressed by the local choices last season... if the choices are as good this year, I'll be sure to post a list, in case anyone wants to do a group order, or something like that.

It's been so hard to restrain myself, and so disappointing to have to keep the list to a minimum... I just don't have the space indoors to add too much to the already burgeoning collection! What I should do is rethink my current collection, in terms of what I want to do with them in the future, and trade out what I don't need. The problem is, the ones I don't need are common varieties that everyone already has... trading won't be easy!

Depending on how the next few months go, I just may end up getting more indoor space... we're in the process of selling our property, and if all goes well, we'll be moving before next summer. I'm hopeful of ending up with more windows and more plant space! Maybe I'll hold off on thinning the collection until I find out what the future holds...

Sweet Lilian is definitely one of my favorites... the blooms were spectacular! Anyone adding this one to their collection won't be disappointed!

• jstropic (10a)
    15 years ago

I know what you mean. I am also taking my time in choosing new bulbs.

Jodi, I too am being more selective and am looking for flowers that are very different then what I have. Thai Thai would be nice!

Pax, I have also been looking at the pics of Neon Rose and was wondering if the color was really that vibrant. It looks like it is a smaller flower that has more blooms?

The hippeastrum did wonderfully outside under palm trees for the summer. I did fertilize (time release)and checked on them but, other then that, I pretty much ignored them. We had plenty of rain this summer and except for a couple of times I watered, they were on their own.(I found they did better without me killing them with kindness). I just checked on the roots and all have completely filled their one gallon pots. I am taking a few that have very large bulbs and lying them on their side in the shade to see if I can sweet talk them into resting - then hopfully I will be able to coax them into flowering for the holidays. We will see.

• Related Discussions

Canadians - from where do you order online?

Q

Comments (4)
    The only places I've ordered from are Restoration Hardware and tablelegs.com. RH has a flat rate that includes shipping and custom fees so that there are no surprises - not cheap though. I have used the site linked below to help figure out final costs so that I don't get a big surprise. I've used it for ordering other household goods and it seems pretty accurate. Here is a link that might be useful: final cost calculator
    ...See More

where do you order your iris from on line?

Q

Comments (11)
    I haven't used the Iris Patch (new to me) but I have ordered from BlueJ and Aitken's Salmon Creek. Both sent nice looking rhizomes but more importantly they were as marked! The size of the rhizome does not predict a healthier plant. I used to order from a place in the midwest that sent rhizomes the size of your little finger and they were great. He's now retired. Any of these sellers on the AIS site are going to be reliable. http://www.irises.org/Resources/Commercial_Ref.html
    ...See More

What Black Friday deals are you getting?

Q

Comments (41)
    I did go out on Friday to 2 stores, to get half price shoes, underwear, towels, socks and gloves for the teen shelter. While I was in the store, unfortunately, a hit and run driver bashed into my new (I've had it 2 weeks) car -- the one that is a replacement for the one that the tree fell on. Luckily there was a good Samaritan witness who left a description/partial plate # and contact info so I am hoping that the sheriff will track the culprit down. The local Kohl's had checkout lines winding around the entire store, even at 1pm! Went out again on Saturday to Menard's to take advantage of a few sale items there also, although I found that most of the things that I wanted were sold out. I was able to get a great deal on coffee pods for work. I also took advantage of a couple of "doorbuster" deals online to get a new coffeepot, a stick blender, and a packable down jacket for my planned travels next year. I took one with me last March and it was great to have, but it is a men's size in an ugly color -- so it was practical, but I wanted one that isn't oversize and looks nicer. Today I might order something unusual -- a deal offering food allergen testing for $55. I have been wondering about my reactions to breads and a few other things. I've long noticed that eating much tomato will make my arthritis flare up.
    ...See More

Where do you order your bank checks from?

Q

Comments (64)
    This interesting topic led me to do some looking around for more information. I learned that what I'd always thought of as the "machine readable" bank routing and account numbers at the bottom of the check came into use in the late 1950s. This system is called MICR, micro ink character recognition. Magnetic readers were all that was available at that time for this task so the numbers were printed on checks with magnetic ink. Reading that reminded me of yesteryear when returned checks had that the check amount printed at the bottom right of the check. This was presumably added by a machine operated manually by a bank employee actually reading the check. The banks and clearing houses then used mag reader machines (as described before in use at retailers) to process checks. Anyway, turn to today. It's not exactly as gardengirl described. The Check Clearing Act for the 21st Century, a federal law passed in 2003, provides that an image of a check IS a legal check and that the physical original check need not be passed through the system at all if an image is used in its place. That's why you can deposit a check using a smart phone or scanner, and why the bank doesn't return cancelled checks but rather makes an image available to a customer (readily obtained online). Bank records (also available online) can be used in place of actual checks for legal and tax purposes. When a bank receives a physical check as a deposit, it takes an image of the check (as well as the deposit slip, if the deposit took place in person) and destroys the pieces of paper. These images are what's available to see online when you access your account. So, to TG's information - stores using MICR readers are using technology that's over 50 years old. Checks DO NOT need to have magnetically readable ink. Yes, they're doing that to cut down on check handling but it's not their only alternative. Apple and Android Pay, other proximity (non-contact) cards are also available for use. Optical readers with OCR capability can also be used, just like every smart phone can do with a bank app. It will get to a point when retailers and other businesses won't accept checks.
    ...See More
  • ryan820
    15 years ago

Hi All--

I don't think I'm ordering anything this year. My wife and I are moving and because the housing market is awful, we're renting out our house...no...property (its no longer our house-- gatta detach from it!). Anyway, we're moving into an apartment instead-- though it is a really nice one, I'm losing my yard and space for plants. Thankfully, we have a big patio for the warmer times. To help ease the move, all my amarylli will be de-potted and put into dormancy.

I'm gonna miss gardening with an actual garden-- but both of our jobs moved!

BTW-- though my bulblets are still not blooming size, would anyone be willing to trade bulbs??

Here's what I have that also have babies growing:

Dancing Queen
    Ragtime
    Picotee
    Jewel
    Royal Velvet
    Minerva (I'm willing to give up a big bulb as I have two, though I doubt many will want it since Minerva is so common)
    Apple blossom

Yet to develop babies:
    Elvas
    White Nymph

I prefer doubles but like anything picoteed. I'm not a huge pink fan, either-- but love reds.

Serenity now! Insanity later... :o)

Ryan

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

I'm sorry to hear you're losing your gardening space, Ryan... I'm not sure what I would do if I couldn't garden. I'm getting more limited in what I can do, as time goes by, but digging and maintaining a garden helps keep me moving and keeps me sane! I don't think I would fare well in an apartment without a garden! While we do live in an apartment, it's the entire second floor of a country house... and I'm very lucky that I can garden to my heart's content in the large yard.

When we do finally move, I'll be doing quite a bit of digging and dividing, so I have plants for the yard of the new place we buy.

Larry brought a brand new shop light assembly upstairs yesterday, so I'm going to have some space for new bulbs, after all! I can't go nuts buying, but I can get a few more than I originally had planned! I'm really happy with this turn of events! Lights! Yeah!

• paxfleur
    Original Author
    15 years ago

RFCfish -- Welcome and thanks for hopping right on in. Thank you for sharing the source for Splash; I've decided that I am going to be getting it. Wonderful selection! I too am getting Ruby Meyers, Snow White, and Alfresco. =)

Blanca -- Is there any particular hybrid/variety that is out of culture that you could share info about? Maybe like the top three you would recommend? I'm always looking for something different and beautiful and I respect your knowledge and taste. I'm hopeful for Thai Thai too *fingers crossed* =)

Jodi -- I can't wait to see Sweet Lilian in person. I've arranged for an October delivery for her so that I can have her blooming in my house by Christmas. And please do post your list of your local offerings when they are available; I don't know if I can order anymore with the ridiculous amount of bulbs I have ordered already but still.....by the way, did your Amputo bloom for you eventually?

Jody -- I was wondering about you! =) I'm actually ordering Amputo this year and the photos you posted of yours was my inspiration. I can still remember how pristine and elegant your Amputo looked with the velvety petals. I'm going to order Neon Rose....I shouldn't because of the lack of space but the flower just look soooo beautiful. Once I get it in and have it going, I'll be sure to post photos. It's supposed to have a higher flower count and the picture of it online (I'm sure it's been enhanced) makes it look so amazing. Good luck with the forced dormancy....I'm contemplating whether or not I should do it to my plants as they look a bit affected by all the rain we had in the last two weeks. We'll see....=)

Ryan -- So sorry to hear about your property. I know the economy is really tough right now and everyone is affected by it in some sort of way whether it's gas, groceries, property, finances, etc. Good luck with your move and your new job. After the economy settles down some and our government get their priorities straightened out, I'm sure you'll be able to reclaim your property! =)

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

I'm afraid not, Pax... Amputo and Misty never gave me blooms, but they both did grow very healthy leaves this summer, so we'll see what time might bring. It's funny that both trumpet varieties should do that, but there you are... I wonder if their culture is a tiny bit different, or I'm missing something?

If your Sweet Lilian is half what mine was, you'll adore her! She's incredibly beautiful in person!

I'm expanding my initial list to include H. reticulatum 'Mrs. Garfield'... she's an expensive bulb, so I'll have to save a few more pennies... but she'll be worth it!

We're planning a garden center trip very soon... I'll be sure to list anything they have, and try to find out what they plan to get in this season... last year's fare was really quite impressive!

• ryan820
    15 years ago

Pax and Jodik--

Don't worry over me and my losing my garden-- I have been in places before where people said I couldn't garden and I still did :o)

This is the first time I'm renting something out like this so it is a little freaky but this is Colorado Springs-- and though the housing crisis isn't as bad here as other places in the country. Thankfully, people are looking to rent, not buy-- and I happen to be renting!

And the only reason we're moving to an apartment is because my wife's company owns the building-- so score on that one! (this should let me save up some cash for some really cool Aussie bulbs next year-- thanks Soultan!) Another great thing is that everything is within walking distance-- parks, stores, entertainment. I'm actually kind of excited for it! And for a couple like us who recycle 97% of what we use, try to drive the least possible and I'd like to think we're paying for re-newable wind energy from the wind farms in eastern Colorado, I think this move helps even more.

Unlike many here-- I have only 12 or so bulbs-- but I'm ready for something new and fun.

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

If you're looking to grow something new and interesting, may I recommend Scadoxus? I love mine! It just recently flowered, and now it's putting out these really cool leaves! The leaves are different than Hippeastrum leaves, and a little bit bigger/wider! What I really like about it is the bud to flower process, and watching the bloom open! It looks like a brilliant red fireworks display!

Scadoxus...
    {{gwi:428267}}

{{gwi:389416}}

Zephyranthes are also very rewarding bulbs, and small, so they don't take up much room. I have a grouping of about 5 in an 8 inch azalea pot, and they bloomed a couple of time over summer... very delicate and pretty pink!

Pink Zephyranthes...
    {{gwi:419473}}

I've got 3 Rhodophiala bifida bulbs in a pot, and although the strap/grass like leaves are growing, there's no sign of a bud yet. I'm hoping they'll bloom soon, or at least next year. The photos are very nice!

What else do I have? Hmmm... I've got a couple of species type Hippeastrum, some Lycoris radiata, a Chalice Vine, Hoya, Clivia miniata, a few orchids of different types, somewhere around 60 Hippeastrum hybrids, a spider plant, a Christmas cactus, Ponytail Palm, and a few others.. any one of them are great houseplants, and you can't go wrong trying some of the more exotic South African or South American bulbs... lots to choose from is you're looking for something new!

Let us know what you choose to add to your collection!

• blancawing
    15 years ago

Pax and jstropic, I have good news for you and others who are searching for Gervase, John Scheepers and Van Engelen are sold out, but Willow Creek Gardens and Royal Colors still have this variety available.
    Regarding Thai Thai, I checked in with Mr. Romijn from Royal Colors again about its availability. Still no news, but he hopes to know within 2 weeks.

Pax, you asked for some info about the varieties that I am searching for which are out of culture. Here are the four hybrids that top my wish list. However, try to stop yourself from falling in love with them, as they are not currently available on the market. If anyone sees them for sale somewhere or wants to make a trade, please let me know.

Sugar Candy is a delicate miniature with creamy-white, slender, trumpet-shaped flowers with rose-pink petal edges. Maria posted some of her always-fabulous photos of this hybrid on 3/28/07.

Striped Panther has a gorgeous trumpet-shaped flower on very tall stalks. If you search the forum, you will find a post by wildebloem from 11/23/07 that has great photos.

Jaguar has an exotic shape and markings. H. papilio is thought to be involved in its parentage. Veronica Read describes this hybrid as having "catlike ox-blood red, vivid orange, cream and lime green flowers." Our southern forum friend, houstonpat, posted a tantalizing photo of Jaguar on 4/22/08.

Residence is a double Cybister. Unfortunately, I cant locate a photo just now. Maybe one of our photographically talented members can provide one.

Jodi, that is great news about your new light assembly. I am really happy for you!!!

Happy bulb hunting to all,

Blanca

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

Since I started my collecting kind of late last fall, and before that, only had my large Minerva and an Apple Blossom, my collection is still devoid of some of the more commonly grown varieties. When I say commonly grown, I mean the varieties that make up the collection backbones of the more die hard collectors/hybridizers here in the forum!

I don't even have a Lemon Lime or an Elvas! My orders this year will include varieties such as these. I'm also in the market for some of the more difficult to find varieties, some of the types considered heirlooms, and some of the species.

I want to stay away from most of the doubles, and concentrate on collecting those that will become my "breeding program". What I don't need are three Red Lions, a bunch of mislabeled reds and whites, more than one Apple Blossom, and any others that are duplicates. Space is too precious to keep a bunch of bulbs that I won't use for breeding and seed production.

This means that I need to be picky about the seedlings I keep, too. How many is too many of one cross? How many do I really need? It's hard to get rid of plants that you've spent time caring for, but culling isn't easy in any breeding program!

The lights will help expand space, but I'll need most of it to grow on the seedlings from this past growing season, and for any new additions to my collection... not to mention the few orchids I plan to buy at the festival this month.

I'd love to find a couple of the varieties no longer available...

• mariava7
    15 years ago

Blanca...Most of the time, commercial growers take out a certain variety from production because they are not making money of it and/or that certain variety have flowering or growing problems.

Now I understand why they did this to Sugar Candy. It is a "sleeping beauty". It loves to sleep. My Sugar Candy rested most of time this past season. After flowering last year as a newly puchased bulb, it leafed out some(4-5 leaves) and then rested. This year it woke up, leafed out some and then rested. I have no idea if I will ever see it's pretty flowers again with this kind of growing habit. If you cannot find a mature bulb, I have 1 small seperated bulblet of it. It shall be yours if you wish.

I am still trying to figure out why they took Striped Panther out of production. This season was my first time to grow this variety which performed so well giving out 3-4 scapes/bulb and grew compact bluish green leaves. Will it perform like Sugar Candy? I hope not. I have a seperated bulblet of this too.

I do not have Jaguar and would like to have one too. Unfortunately, I have only seen 2 pictures of a Jaguar in bloom here in US. One of Pat's and another one also in TX.

Residence is also something new to the collection. I don't know if it is taken out of production. I did ask Paul why it's not offered in RC this season. He hasn't answered me back yet about it. One thing I noticed about Residence though, it's last scape (third) was an unusual tall one...31". Look at how it "standed out" among the crowd still planted in a 6" pot.

{{gwi:428270}}

Good luck on your search. I'm just an email away if ever...

Happy bulb shopping to all!

• Noni Morrison
    15 years ago

Jodi, congratulations on the new light system! That sure ought to help.

Sure is fun to talk amies again. I am wondering where I can put mine too...and all those seedlings I started last year!Finding spaces for my 100 bulbs was hard enough and now I have ordered another 15 or so of varieties I did not have. I could almost hope I have lost a few over the summer but which would I lose? There were very few I did not love when they were in bloom!

I can report that I am now back to work in my garden and regaining my gardening muscles. SO wonderful to be able to work without knee pain! I have been having Olympian battles with butter cup in most of our front yard flower beds, and am trying to reclaim them. The work is going well and will continue as long as nice weather lasts. Somehow will have to fit in time repotting the amies.

My 3 Red Peacock bulbs bloomed a couple of weeks ago...Now I can correct the labels on them! They were much prettier then the rather wizened flowers I got from them as new bulbs last winter.

• gone2seed
    15 years ago

I have also been a lurker for a while.Iwill be adding only a limited number this fall and mostly cybisters
    I have on order from John Scheepers...
    La Paz
    Ruby Meyer
    and from Willow Creek Gardens....
    Emerald
    Lima
    Chico
    A little plug is in order for WCG.Last spring I ordered several varieties.They arrived with 'Santos' having soft spots.One quick email and a replacement was on the way.
    Excellent customer service so they stay high on my list of suppliers.
    I intend to stop with this five but I know that won't happen

• hcarnevale
    15 years ago

I too have had a great experience with Willow Creek Gardens. I ordered numerous bulbs from them last year and had a problem with 2 of them. I contacted them and they said they'd send replacements. It turned out they were out of 1 of the bulbs so they sent me 6 additional bulbs for free (appleblossom, clown, 2 white X-Mas, dancing queen, and grandeur). I also ordered from another company now called Edens Blooms. So far they have a few Hadeco bulbs listed, but they are supposed to be listing quite a few Cybister hybrids soon, if anyone is interested. I ordered from them last year under a different name (Arizona Rare Bulbs, I believe).

• jstropic (10a)
    15 years ago

Jodi and Pax, I noticed with the two Amputo bulbs that they took off faster when they were placed in a warm window. Both bulbs bloomed twice for me - but they were slow to start. We will see this year how they do.

Amputo also has a nice scent - I think it is similar to my Appleblossom - although I think the scent of my Appleblossom is/was stronger. I say was because an unnamed person in my family LOL accidently ran over this really special bulb. I saved as much as I could and placed the cut up remains in a bag of wet spahgnum moss which resulted in more but smaller bulbs.

Pax, Neon Rose is sold out already! Wow that was fast! Oh well I really didn't want to order just one bulb.
    Lizalilly, I am really glad you are doing well and look forward to your gorgeous arrangements.

• blancawing
    15 years ago

Dear Maria,

Your group shot gave me a big burst of positive energy and recharged my day.
    Thank you for the good cheer!

What you said about why Sugar Candy was pulled off the market makes perfect sense. If companies guarantee that the bulbs they sell will bloom, reluctant bloomers are simply not profitable.

I am hopeful that, by crossbreeding a shy bloomer or a beautiful, but weak variety with a stronger hybrid or species, the resulting progeny will demonstrate the phenomenon of hybrid vigor whereby it is possible to obtain a genetically superior individual by combining the virtues of its parents.

I am also puzzled about the fate of Striped Panther and Residence, but here is Mr. Romijns message:

"Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately Sugar Candy, Striped Panther, Jaguar and Residence all out of culture."

Yours sincerely,

Paul Romijn
    Royal Colors
    Please check your email. You have mail!

• elizabeth_jb
    15 years ago

Check out Park Seed! They have just added some to their online catalog and a few are at really low prices.

Cheers!

Ann

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

Park Seed does, indeed, have some very good prices, although their selection is rather small... I've noticed that pricing really differs throughout the sellers, with some charging really high prices! It pays to look around!

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    15 years ago

I've ordered 1 each of Jewel, Charisma, Gervase, Lemon Lime (after so many on the list raved about it), Jade Serpent (again....at the recommendation of the list), Giraffe, and Chico. Replacements coming are Rilona, Exotica, and Blossom Peacock, which were mis-bagged and really were Apple Blossom, Candy Floss?, and Nymph. They should all ship in late October, so plenty of Christmas time blooms here.
    Kristi

• palmcoastgarden
    15 years ago

Is everyone, in the Northern Hemisphere, getting excited about the new season? I hope that we all get big, healthy bulbs that are correctly labelled. I ordered all the new African bulbs from Royal Colors and Parks, and a few of the Royal Colors Dutch Standards, that I hadn't seen before this season. I haven't seen Melusine this year which I've been trying to get for 4 years (each time I get a mislabelled Melusine). I am still looking for Charmeur, and Flaming Peacock, which also were mislabelled last year. Has anyone seen any new cybisters on the market this year?

• greendelight
    15 years ago

Hi Everyone,

May you all experience a beautiful new growing season of Amaryllis/Hippeastrum's. I have enjoyed reading shopping lists and sources. What a generous resource offered here. Thank you.

You may be interested. Gurney's is having a sale and Amaryllis 'Zombie' is $5.91.The sale runs through October 1. I received the notice about the sale after signing up for their newsletter.

Warm Regards,
    GreenD

• paxfleur
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ryan -- I'm so happy to hear that the move isn't affecting you and your wife as bad as I thought it would. =) Best of luck and take care.

Blanca -- I have Striped Panther as well and I too have no idea why it's no longer in production. I love Striped Panther (one of my favorites for it's fragrance) and it puts out many babies.

{{gwi:428271}}

My Striped Panther wasn't as vibrant as Wildebloem because I wasn't able to provide the best conditions for it last season because I had sooooo many amaryllises blooming at once but the fragrance is pretty stellar....if I had to describe it, it smells like fresh cut papayas. =)

Maria -- as always, your amaryllises are absolutely gorgeous. Your neighbors are so lucky to be able to see such a display month after month. =) By the way, did your beautiful mandevilla not make it this season? It's not on the fencing this year. =)

Ann - I checked out Park Seeds, thanks for the heads up. There were two varieties I was interested in: Piccolo and Little Angel....but I'm pretty sure shipping costs will be through the roof so I'm trying to hold back on urges. But who knows? I'm sure they'll have more varieties in the coming weeks and I might just splurge. =)

Liza -- It's so nice to hear that you're on both feet again doing what you do best. =) Please let us know how your "bulb moving" goes when you move your in-ground amies into pots. I look forward to the many blooms and bouquets you will have to share with us come winter and spring. =)

Gone2seed -- thanks for the recommendation of Willow Creek Gardens. They do indeed have really great selection and I want several varieties on their website (including Chico) but when I calculated shipping for my area, it added up to the cost of a bulb. Their prices are really awesome though and I might just have to order from them in the coming weeks if I can't find a local source. Thank you and excellent choices and selections you have made. I look forward to your pictures if you are able to take any. =)

RFCFishLady -- Thank you so much for recommending Eden's Blooms. Ya'll -- all of ya'll, I highly recommend that ya'll check out their website. Not only are their prices AWESOME but they also offer FREE SHIPPING on orders over $50!!!! =) I ordered from them the following:

Eden's Blooms:
    Green Dragon
    Blushing Bride (thank you Maria for sharing your photos. You inspire me to buy lol.)
    Bellisimo
    Peach Blossom
    Bright Spark
    Jade Serpent
    Jungle Bells

Jody -- Thanks for giving your tips on Amputo. I'm going to order it from John Scheepers hopefully in the next week when I get my list compiled. I can't wait to see Neon Rose! It looks soooooo purrty. I'll be sure to post photos for your viewing when I get it established. I wished you had Striped Panther (I know you were looking for fragrant Amaryllises) because it's scent is much more sweeter and pronounced than Apple Blossom. =)

Kristi -- I'm glad to hear you made it out okay from Ike. I look forward to all your rebloomers and new blooms this winter and hopefully, we can see "Gordie" soon. Way to go with propagating it. Big kudos to you for your efforts and persistence. =)

Palmcoastgarden -- Excited? lol....Excited would have to be a understatement. I'm ecstatic for this coming season and I've bought so many bulbs so far that I cringe when I think about viewing my credit bills for the next two months. I'm trying to hold back on ordering from Royal Colors untill I hear back for sure whether or not they will carry Thai Thai this season. I have my fingers crossed like many others here and hope that Paul is able to stock up on it. In terms of cybisters, I don't think anyone is carrying anything different/new from last season....atleast from the websites I've seen. =)

GreenD - How funny you mention Gurneys lol. I too received that email this morning and placed an order late this afternoon. However, you have to click on the link on the email to receive the "Harvest Moon" special. Otherwise, if you just go to Gurneys.com, you don't see the "adjusted pricings". From Gurneys, I ordered:

Gurney's
    Zombie (Cindee....lol, I remember you ordered yours from them last year)
    Little Devil
    Jungle Bells

The season has only begun! =) Happy Hippeastrums everyone!

• greendelight
    15 years ago

Thanks Paxfleur for your message and directions for obtaining the sale price. I really appreciate it.

White Flower Farm has many Amaryllis' for sale. They are on the high end of the price scale. I haven't seen the site mentioned yet and thought people may be interested.

Very Best,
    GreenD

• gone2seed
    15 years ago

Paxfeur writes.....Gone2seed -- Thank you and excellent choices and selections you have made. I look forward to your pictures if you are able to take any.

I am in the beginning stages of this obsession.I assure you,you will see so many pictures you will get sick of them.

• anna_in_quebec
    15 years ago

From Royal Colours, I have ordered: Santa Cruz, Ambiance, Bright Spark, Matterhorn, Gervase, Naranja, and Amaryllis gift box containing 3 surprise bulbs (I love surprises!).

I have well over 30 bulbs already, and have had little reblooming success. Does that stop me? Noooo! Half the family went outdoors this year, and their leaves grew nice and thick, a couple bulbs shrunk and rotted and sadly had to be tossed (it was a very rainy summer). But most have shown nice bulb development indeed. Some stayed inside, but in a sunny window. All have been fertilized with a bulb fertilizer as an experiment. I have also kept track of which bulbs summered where, to see the results. Fingers crossed! Above all I must have winter blooms, or I'll go mad with gardening withdrawal symptoms!

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

Wow! Everyone is really getting into the bulb spirit now! Great choices!

I hope to have some re-blooming next spring from the bulbs I already have, but I will need winter flowers so I don't go over the edge, either! The gardening withdrawal symptoms can only be stopped by a huge fix of new bulbs!

This weekend is the Chicagoland Orchid Festival, which I'll be attending... and after I see what's left of the budget, I'll be ordering my bulbs for the winter blooming season!

I don't want to add too many due to space restraints... well, that's not true... I really want them all!! I don't have a choice but to try and restrain myself from buying too many... probably around a half dozen, or so, will be ordered... the choices are getting difficult!

• mymanga
    15 years ago

I just ordered from ParkSeeds The shipping is expensive though.
    Amaryllis Jungle Bells
    Amaryllis Little Angel
    Canaliculatus Daffodil
    Autumn Crocus 'Waterlilly
    Autumn Crocus 'The Giant
    The shipping cost is $21 . Sooo expensive.

I also want Amarllyis Harlequin but it is only available from RoyalColors . It is $17.50 and then plus shipping is too expensive. So I am holding off on this. Hopefully will find better price somewhere.
    Michele

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

Last season, I bit the bullet and ordered enough from Royal Colors to make the shipping free... a lot of people will try to get a group order going for companies that charge big shipping... that way, everyone gets the bulbs they want, and there's only one shipping charge! It might pay to ask around...

• primeribs
    15 years ago

I've only ordered a few bulbs this year, and they are from.

Park Seeds - 'Jungle Bells' and another 'Zombie' cause it has to be my favorite double, so one just will not do.

John Scheepers - 'Gervase'

White Flower Farms - 'Bogota' and 'Sweet Lillian'

Does anyone know if the 'Fantasy' hybrid from WFF is the same as 'Gervase'? Just wondering cause they look the same to me. Well anyway great choices everyone. Prime

• elizabeth_jb
    15 years ago

Prime, I don't know if Fantasy is the same, but it is similar and quite unique and nice with its broken colors.

Wayside Gardens is now offering more varieties. I noticed that Harlequin is included.

Have FUN!

• Oklahoma_Tim
    15 years ago

I have to agree with some of the recent posts--in recent years, shipping and handling costs from mail-order plant sources have gotten rediculous. It wasn't that long ago that some catalogs offered flat-rate shipping as low as three or four bucks, but it's nearly impossible now to find s&h for under eight bucks....

As for a specific example, I recently found a copy of the Fall 2008 issue of the vanBourgondien catalog, and found an entire page of Amaryllises. I fell absolutely head-over-heels in love with the varieties "Double Dragon" and "Black Pearl." I immediately flipped through the rest of the catalog to find the order form, and was knocked back by the $8.95 that's charged for orders under $20. The bulb I want the most, Double Dragon, is $18.99, so it'd cost me $27.94, which is way outside of my current budget. The catalog also offers "$25 worth of product free!" with an order of over $50, but that discount is applied after s&h charges have been added, so the s&h would be $12.95, and $37.95 is well out of my price range.

Oh, well. Better luck next year....

Can anyone recommend catalogs that actually have affordable shipping costs?

• mariava7
    15 years ago

I just received a UPS shipment notification. My Van Engelen order is coming soon. Yayyyyyy!!!

I can't even remember what I ordered...lol! It has been a few months ago since I ordered. I'm pretty sure they are the SA bulbs. Trentino(s) and Lemon Sorbet(s) would be some of them.

John Scheepers and Van Engelen still has the most decent shipping fees. A lot of bulb companies are charging fuel surcharge fees besides their shipping and handling fees this season. Ridiculous!!! I have been shipping some stuff lately and the REAL mailing costs (USPS)have not really gone up that much!!! It would also be nice if they would give us a choice of how we want our goods shipped. Wether using USPS,UPS,Fedex, regular mail, priority or express. With the ongoing economy crunch, they should rethink on their prices if they want to have some business or have rotten unsold bulbs.

• paxfleur
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Gone2seed -- We never get tired of pictures here. =) Especially for the people in zones 7 and down. The pictures give us hope that spring will come soon. I look forward to all your photos. =)

Anna -- Oooh, you got the giftbox set this year too? I remember one of your "surprises" was the red stemmed something lol. I look forward to your pictures if you are able to take any. =) Excellent selection by the way; I'm getting Ambiance and Gervase too. =)

Jodi -- Let us know how to orchid festival was. I would love to hear about what goodies you picked up. =) I used to grow orchids when I lived in the tropics and miss all the beautiful exotic flowers and greenery that grew all around us when I was a child. =)

MyManga -- I was going to order from Parks too but stopped when I saw the shipping prices. The shipping prices that some of these companies are charging are absurd which is why I show patronage to companies that offer deals on shipping (ie: Royal Colors, John Scheepers). I ordered Jungle Bells too and can't wait to see it in bloom. Great choices! =)

Primeribs -- I ordered Zombie and Jungle Bells too, though I did not order from Parks. You were one of the lucky ones to purchase Gervase before it got sold out. Boy did that variety sell out quick! I'm probably going to order Gervase either from Royal Colors or Willow Creek Gardens. =) "Fantasy" featured at White Flower Farms looks almost identical to "Gervase" on Royal Colors. On Royal Colors, their "Gervase" has the same "tie-dye" markings so I wonder if they are the same variety but from different suppliers? Either way though, I prefer the name Gervase. It sounds more classy. =)

Elizabeth -- I was look at Wayside Gardens too as I am on their email list as well. I did the whole "shopping cart" thing and picked a few varieties that might be interesting just to see how much shipping would be and it came out to $15+ for two bulbs. I had to pass but thank you so much for sharing. =)

Oklahoma_Tim -- I hear your cry on shipping prices. There are a number of companies I would've ordered from if only their shipping prices were more reasonable. I've ordered from quite a few number of companies that charge $$ to ship their bulbs and the bulbs aren't packed in gold foilings or metal boxes. Hopefully these companies realize that the economy isn't at its best right now and they create more incentives for customers to order from them. =)

Maria -- Let us know how the VE bulbs are this year when you receive them. Last year I had a few problems bulbs with molding/scars but they bloomed beautifully. Did you order Gervase as well? I ordered Trentino and Lemon Sorbet as well but missed out on Gervase. Hopefully you ordered it so you can share photos of it. Otherwise, I know for sure Liza bought three so we'll definitely see unadulterated pictures from her. =) By the way, did you read the email I sent you? The ordering for us ends this Friday so you need to join and get in soon if you want to order something! =)

• mariava7
    15 years ago

Hi Pax! I surely will share pics...you know how I am. Yes, I did get your email and will get into it soon. I have been busy lately. Thanks for reminding me and I'll jot that deadline in my calendar.

With regards to Gervase, I will get my Gervase from Royal Colors. If there is a new variety released, I always get it from RC if they have it to avoid disappointments if ever. Royal Color's bulb quality/size/performance and excellent customer service outweighs the price difference. And with their free shipping for orders above $56, their bulbs end up costing almost the same as the ones sold here.
    Commercial growers sell their hippie bulbs according to size. Smaller/less mature bulbs are cheaper. Bigger/mature bulbs are more expensive. Royal Colors always gets the biggest size available to ensure that we would be happy with our hippies.

I'm pretty sure that Gervase will be shipped out later than the SA bulbs for it is a Dutch grown one. The Dutch bulbs are still in cold storage right now.

Happy Hippie shopping to all!

• blancawing
    15 years ago

Hi Pax,

No word on Thai Thai yet. I don't want to pester Mr. Romijn again just yet. I have no doubt that he will let us know.

Please keep positive thoughts.

Best,

Blanca

• mariava7
    15 years ago

Hi Blanca!

I guess I forgot to post this here. No Thai Thai this season girlfriend. This is confirmed by Mr. CB (Hadeco). He said hopefully next year because it is still until production. They sure are preparing for this huge demand for Thai Thai. Paul (RC) has also confirmed that there are no Thai Thai bulbs that came in from his SA shipment.

Something to look forward to next season...again. :-(

• blancawing
    15 years ago

Thank you for the update, Maria.

The news is sad for the present season, but we can look ahead to the future.

I have been holding out and hanging on to a stash of cash, but now I can finally give in and buy some new bulbs.

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

We arrived back home earlier this evening... what a ride... I'm still trying to unfold my poor body from the trip back!

It was a wonderful trip... a weekend that turned into a week long vacation due to car trouble! The car is fixed now, and we did get to spend more time with the kids and grandkids, so I'm happy!

And I'm thrilled to report that I picked up almost every orchid that I wanted to get! I brought home just about a dozen plants, and only spent about $60 bucks! True, many are young plants... but several are near blooming size, and a few have spikes or sheaths... and one is a phal in full bloom! I should have the pictures off the camera by tomorrow, and have them uploaded for posting.

Unfortunately, I had to spend the remaining orchid money on a new alternator for the car, but these things happen... only to me, mind you... but they do happen! LOL! Looks like I'll be starting a new bulb fund...

• anna_in_quebec
    15 years ago

Well, in addition to the rather large order from Royal Colors, as posted above, I have also ordered the following:
    1 Amaryllis Double Sonata ALFRESCO 14.95
    3 Amaryllis Sonatini TRENTINO 18.00
    3 Amaryllis Sonatini JADE SERPENT 18.00
    I stumbled across a Canadian site: Garden Import and I was thrilled to see they had hipps for sale, as being in Canada I am really limited where I can order from. I asked about the 3-pack business and they responded something about the bulbs being small and 3 making a better display - I am guessing they are miniature types. I hope I wasn't duped. Oh well - we shall see. Anyone else ordered from them?

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

Three bulbs planted together will always make a nicer display, but I think it comes down to how much you want to spend... I hate it when the smallest amount you can buy is 3 bulbs... I normally only want 1 of each variety. Call me cheap! LOL!

Trentino and Jade Serpent are smaller bulbs, being Hadeco Sonatinis. Three bulbs planted together will make a lovely bouquet in the pot! And in all honesty, the prices are rather decent for that amount... I think you'll enjoy your 3 bulb pots!

I'm not ordering any bulbs from catalogs until I see what the local garden center is offering this season... I haven't had a chance to see if their bulbs have come in yet... I think it's actually a bit early yet.

Since we had to spend unexpected money on the car, my bulb fund is down a bit... I should be able to put together enough to get the half a dozen, or so, bulbs I want for this season.

• paxfleur
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello everyone -- so....amaryllis season is at its peak now and I've been hearing about many of you all receiving your bulbs in the mail. Please post and share the condition of your bulbs and share your raves and disappointments with the forum community. =) New comers -- please feel free to share what you've ordered.

Since the last time I posted, I have ordered quite a bit:

John Scheepers
    Alfresco
    Amputo
    Amalfi
    Exotica
    Exotic Star
    Papilio Improved (again....because the one I purchased last season was a no-bloom)
    Misty
    Ruby Meyers
    Snow White
    Rozetta

Gurneys
    Little Devil
    Zombie
    Jungle Bells

Edens Blooms/RareBulbs
    Bellisimo
    Blushing Bride
    Bright Spark
    Evergreen
    Green Dragon
    Peach Blossom
    Lemon Sorbet
    Jade Serpent

Privately
    Amsterdam
    Charisma
    Cherry Nymph
    Full House
    Moonlight
    Neon Rose
    Paris
    Pasadena
    Pink Diamond
    Pink Nymph
    Splash
    Sweet Lillian

If you're thinking I'm crazy...I'm thinking the same as well. I have no idea how I'm going to fit all these bulbs in my home (I don't have a greenhouse) and I've spent several hundreds of $$$ on just the bulbs (I'm going to also have to purchase potting soil/claypots).

You know what the most saddest thing is? I sorta lied to myself ordering all these bulbs saying I would give most of them away as Christmas gifts. However, going down the list, all of the varieties are not in my collection yet so it would make no sense to give them away as gifts. I think the most atrocious thing of all is, I still want to buy more bulbs. I would love to order Ambiance from Royal Colors and would be happy to have Popov in my collection. With that said, I haven't even taken a look at whats available locally and I know I'll buy certain varieties if I don't have them. I know, I know....I think I'm addicted. Yet, I try to make myself feel better by telling myself that this addiction is better than being addicted to drugs or alcohol and plus, I only splurge at this advanced pace only once a year (amaryllis season).

I'm sure many of you all in the U.S. are feeling it, but the economy is a mess. At times like this, people are encouraged to spend less, and save. I feel bad about pampering myself with all these bulbs. But yet again, I try to reason with my inner me by telling myself that if I don't spend, I'm making the economy worse off by not putting money into our financial system, therefore not giving businesses revenue, making people lose jobs due to lack of sales/profits. Excuses, excuses, excuses.....I know.

How I am going to explain all these new pots and bulbs to my friends and family who visit, I do not know and cannot tell. But, I find peace within myself thinking of the plethora of shapes and colors I will have before me during the cold winter months here in Virginia. Thank you all for listening (this has been really getting at my conscience) and I appreciate your support. I will be sure to share tons and tons of photos for all of your amaryllis lovers throughout the world. Have a great weekend everyone! =)

• blancawing
    15 years ago

Hi Pax,

Here are 10 reasons why you should unburden yourself of bulb guilt.

I have no doubt that there are many other important reasons.

Please add to the list and help to assuage Paxs guilt.

1. The foliage that our bulbs grow produces negative ions that reduce the amount of dust in the air that we breathe inside our homes.

2. Our bulbs will continue to flower for many years if we care for them properly.

3. Being surrounded by beauty is positive boost for our immune systems.

4. Our bulbs are definitely a gift that keeps on giving because we can share offsets and seeds with our friends, family, and neighbors.

5. We help to save endangered Hippeastrum species by growing them.

6. In a similar way as having pets to care for, growing and nurturing plants can increase our lifespan.

7. The hybridizers among us (e.g., Sir Hans, Maria, Arif, Houston Pat, and Lora) have brought new and unique beauty into the word. One day, they may create a Hippeastrum with blue, purple, or truly yellow flowers, a miniature jewel, or even a spotted trumpet with a wonderful fragrance.

8. We need to purchase bulbs in order to diversify the gene pool in our small-scale breeding programs and create new hybrids.

9. Bright colors affect our moods and emotions and can help to diminish the winter blues.

10. Plants help to reduce harmful chemicals that may off-gas from building materials.

• mariae
    15 years ago

Hi everybody, I have purchase from Gurney's a week ago the only three varieties they have, that is
    Zombie
    Little Devil
    Jungle Bells
    I get a pretty decent price of $5.50 each plus s&h around 7 dollars, now I received a mail they are now "$4 dollars each". So for around $19 dollars, total, you have these three beauties.
    May be if you don't received the mail you cannot access the offer so here's the Offer Keycode: 508464 it expires on October 23.

Mariae.

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

Pax - Let me add a few reasons to Blanca's list, of why you shouldn't feel guilty for your bulb purchases:

11. You're helping the economy by circulating money.

12. Growing plants indoors during winter helps ease winter depression.

13. If you're guilty, then I'm guilty... and I refuse to feel that way about something that makes me so happy!

14. There's no shame in being addicted to plants... they aren't harmful!

15. Growing plants helps the environment.

16. Sharing the photos of your blooms with us makes us feel happy, and that's a good thing!

17. Working with our bulbs and caring for them all helps keep us healthy and young at heart!

18. Plants help our blood pressure and stress levels remain low.

19. Bulbs are not illegal, therefore it's not a real addiction! (Keep telling yourself this!)

20. Repeat reasons 1-19! In reality, there is no cure for Hippi Addiction!

I'm sure if I though hard enough, I could find more good reasons to keep collecting bulbs! If we must be addicted, this is probably the best thing to cave in to! I bought over 50 bulbs last winter, and I survived... you'll be fine, Pax!

Your list of bulbs is fantastic! Very nice choices! You'll be happy with them, I know!

You could either plant them all and enjoy them as they bloom, or you could stagger planting and enjoy them slowly over winter... and just think of the seeds you could produce through pollinating! The crosses are endless!

I say: great job, Pax! Welcome to the Hippeastrum Addicts Club! LOL!

I just received and potted Lemon Star, Papilio, and Mrs. Garfield... and I have Evergreen on order! I'm thrilled!

• anna_in_quebec
    15 years ago

Pax - and I thought I was going overboard with my (what seems like now) modest purchases! I am constrained in my fever for hipps by living in Canada: I order from Royal Colours (my main source) and also buy them locally, but the choices are not great. Recently, I accidentally came across a Canadian website with really nice choices - now THAT was a good day, and yes I ordered more, and yes, I too feel guilty - your letter could have been written by me. But all the reasons for not feeling guilty are super, and very valid. The only thing I would add, is that discovering an emerging scape is one of the most exciting things I have ever seen - indeed a tiny miracle (especially for me, as I have not had much rebloom success). What a joyful vision for this winter/spring: all our homes, all around the world abloom with colorful majestic flowers. (I get all giddy from the anticipation!)

• anna_in_quebec
    15 years ago

Oh, and by the way, that lovely long list PAX gave, made me feel quite inadequate and bereft, so I headed over to Botanus.com and bought 2 more bulbs, Candy Floss and Gilmar. It's all your fault PAX - how's that for guilt ;)

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

I reread Pax's list, and I feel quite behind in bulb purchasing! There are still a few I'd like to have... I'd like to obtain Fairy Tale, Clown, Popov, San Remo, Ruby Meyer, Hercules, and Papilio Improved, and I'm sure there are more I could easily say "yes" to!

And the wonderfully eery thing is... my husband, Larry, would tell me to go ahead and order what I wanted... he's become my number one enabler! And then, with his second breath, he'd ask me if I knew how much I'd already spent, just on bulbs! And just because I don't want to hear the total, I'd say yes, I already know how much I spent on bulbs! Please don't remind me!

Not to justify it, or anything, but we only do this once a year... and there are so many good reasons for collecting hippeastrum bulbs... I could add to the above list of reasons why we should keep collecting, and not feel a bit of guilt! I love every single bulb I have, and it makes me feel good to care for them all, whether they rebloom or not. Bulbs are fascinating plants, each a self-contained unit powered by the sun, and a bit of care from us.

There is no other feeling that can match seeing that spike tip begin to emerge from one of our bulbs... as Anna says, it's a giddy sort of excitement! What is so bad about wanting to experience that many times each bulb season?!

I suppose it IS rather like an addiction... we're chasing that high that only comes from seeing our bulbs reward us with blooms!

• soultan
    15 years ago

Locally:
    Blushing Bride
    Elvas
    Gold Medal
    Jewel
    Lemon Lime
    Moonlight
    Nagano
    Picotee
    Picotee Red Lining
    San Remo
    Scarlet Baby
    Sydney
    White Christmas Jumbo

John Scheepers:
    Gervase
    Lemon Sorbet
    Zombie

Cindee:
    Flamingo Star
    Pink Diamond
    Star of Holland

Beautiful Gardens USA (ebay):
    * I will never buy from this company again!
    Estrella

Edensblooms:
    Bellissimo
    Bright Spark
    Evergreen
    Green Dragon
    Jungle Bells
    Reggae
    Rose
    Tango
    Trentino

National Gardening Association:
    Chianti
    Salmon Pearl

White Flower Farm:
    Antarctica
    Bogota
    Double Fireworks
    Exotic Peacock
    Fantasy
    Magic Green
    Monaco
    Naranja
    Pink Rain
    Popov
    Reve
    Rosado
    Sunrise

Flora Cafe (ebay):
    Puniceum

Good friend (I don't know if I can post the name):
    Amico
    Amsterdam
    Cherry Nymph
    Full House
    Little Angel
    Little Devil
    Neon Rose
    Novella

And I have still not finished draining my pocket.

• soultan
    15 years ago

Locally:
    Blushing Bride
    Elvas
    Gold Medal
    Jewel
    Lemon Lime
    Moonlight
    Nagano
    Picotee
    Picotee Red Lining
    San Remo
    Scarlet Baby
    Sydney
    White Christmas Jumbo
    John Scheepers:
    Gervase
    Lemon Sorbet
    Zombie

Cindee:
    Flamingo Star
    Pink Diamond
    Stargazer
    Romance

Beautiful Gardens USA (ebay):
    * I will never buy from this company again!
    Estrella

Edensblooms:
    Bellissimo
    Bright Spark
    Evergreen
    Green Dragon
    Jungle Bells
    Reggae
    Rose
    Tango
    Trentino

National Gardening Association:
    Chianti
    Salmon Pearl

White Flower Farm:
    Antarctica
    Bogota
    Double Fireworks
    Exotic Peacock
    Fantasy
    Magic Green
    Monaco
    Naranja
    Pink Rain
    Popov
    Reve
    Rosado
    Sunrise

Flora Cafe (ebay):
    Puniceum

Good friend (I don't know if I can post the name):
    Amico
    Amsterdam
    Cherry Nymph
    Full House
    Little Angel
    Little Devil
    Neon Rose
    Novella

And I have still not finished draining my pocket.

• paxfleur
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Welcome back Soultan! =) Maria must be the "good friend" that helped you with the last list -- I recognize Neon Rose, Full House. Cherry Nymph, Amsterdam, Little Devil, and Novella (I purchased those as well, with the exception of Novella). Soultan, do you want to do a group purchase for Estella or Gold Medal? Or Milady? I want to get Estella, Milady, and Gold Medal but I don't need three of each...eek! :)

Here's my updated list:

John Scheepers
    Alfresco
    Amputo
    Amalfi
    Emerald
    Exotica
    Exotic Star
    Gervase
    Honeymoon
    Lemon Sorbet
    Papilio Improved
    Misty
    Ruby Meyers
    Snow White
    Rozetta

Gurneys
    Little Devil
    Zombie
    Jungle Bells

Edens Blooms
    Bellisimo - Edens Blooms did not receive
    Blushing Bride
    Bright Spark
    Cybister 'Rose'
    Cybister 'Night Star'
    Evergreen
    Grandeur
    Green Dragon
    Papilio - Again, to compare differences between J.S and E.B.
    Peach Blossom
    Jade Serpent

Privately
    Amsterdam
    Charisma
    Cherry Nymph
    Full House
    Moonlight
    Neon Rose
    Paris
    Pasadena
    Splash