SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cyanea_gw

Kelps and Seaweeds.

Matt G
19 years ago

I am in 12th grade. I am in a directed studies (science) class and my instructor teaches marine biology. This is not my field (im actually more of a botany/terrestrial ecology freak - i find marine bio interesting but i think i should stick to one thing). I need to make a power point presentation on "ocean plants." I have always been wondering what kingdom kelps and seaweeds belong to - plantae or protista? Well i have done some searches but I still can't find the answer to my question. And to me it seems as if different people say different things (according to my teacher they are plants - and i would very much like to believe this cuz that would be totally cool).

I have read about the taxonomy of the plant kingdom a number of times. I know that there are vascular; non-vascular / gymnosperms, ferns (and allies), flowering plants (including marine monocots). I have never read about were these submarine heterotrophs fall into place. Anyone know the answer to my question? What kingdom do kelps and seaweeds belong to? Does anyone know any websites or books that may carry such information?

Mahalo

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions