SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaboehm

My less than 1- & 1-year old bulbs - photos and video

I don't mean to dis the grower who posted their amaryllis growing video on YouTube, but I got the camera out tonight and decided to uproot a few bulbs just to see what I had.

Here is an Exotica x Red Pearl seedling that I planted in May this year. The seeds were probably sown in February. I used my super delux homemade mix of 10 parts potting soil, 5 parts coarse sand, 3 parts Perlite, and 2 parts decomposed granite. They get morning sun and are hit by the sprinkler 3 times a week plus they get rain (they are in bunny hutches and bird cages to protect them from squirrels and raccoons. As you can see the bulb is already the size of my pointer-finger nail. This bulb is just 7 months old.

{{gwi:427888}}

{{gwi:427889}}

To see if this was a fluke, I uprooted a President Johnson x Gordie to see how big it was...same thing. This one is about the size of my thumbnail.

{{gwi:427890}}

Here is a Vittatum self from seeds that were sown last July 2008, so it's 14 months old. Compare that to the 1 or even 2 year old bulb from the YouTube video!

{{gwi:427891}}

AND here is my Gordie Self that I sewed about the same time. I unpot it in the attached video...but the video stopped just as I was going to show the bulb!

{{gwi:427892}}

{{gwi:427893}}

It's at least 13 cm and alread has an offset! Growing in a 3.5 inch pot.

These bulbs really are thriving....and sadly the grower's video isn't promoting their business to anyone on the list, but it is educational for the general public hobbyist.

I have attached the video. I posted it in my PhotoBucket acct. I have great luck playing it...but then, maybe because it's big, my computer seems to lock up. There's no virus...just be warned!!

Guess Hippis just love to grow in Spring!

:-)

Kristi

Here is a link that might be useful: The unpotting of Kristi's mutant huge 1-year old

Comments (9)

Sponsored
More Discussions