SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
xill

Shading a western wall

xill
11 years ago

Hi all! Now that planting season is upon us, I'm ready to plant some small trees/large shrubs along the western wall of my house in an attempt to keep my living room windows and walls from getting so hot in the summers to come. Here's what I'm looking for:

1) I'd like to be able to plant it no further than 5 feet from the wall, 3ft would be better if possible (to help maximize the patio space)

2) I'd like the trees/shrubs to grow no taller than 20ft, or at the very least they should respond well to pruning so I can keep them this size. Width isn't as much of a concern, especially if their canopies are above my head anyhow

3) They should give fairly dense shade. Shoestring Acacias are just too darn transparent I think

4) They have to be able to withstand reflected heat (obviously)

5) evergreen or deciduous, I don't care as long as it provides dense shade during the summer months

6) Can't be deadly. I have small children, so Oleanders and Thevetia is out

7) No bougainvilleas, I must have 20 of them already lol

8) I'd prefer fast-growing, it'll be summer again before ya know it!

The plants I've sort of narrowed down to are (in no particular order):

1) Orange Jubilee (Tecoma Stans)

2) Lysiloma

3) Arabian Lilac (Vitex Trifolia)

4) Pink Dawn Chitalpa

5) Figs (Black Mission, White Kadota, etc)

6) Sweet Acacia

Does anyone have any experience with these plants against a hot western-facing stucco or brick wall? Are there better recommendations available? I'd like a few different plants that can thrive on the same watering schedule so the entire area can be dripped on the same zone.

Comments (7)