SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lee_tucson

Some pictures of perhaps my favorite tree in AZ.

lee_tucson
18 years ago

The Ficus benghalensis in Old Town Scottsdale is perhaps my single favorite tree in Arizona. There's some great looking ones at the Phoenix Zoo that come in a close second, but I still really like this one in Scottsdale.

This is a tree that is widely considered a zone 10b tree. This tree came through December of 2003 with no damage. I'd rate it as hardy as Ficus elastica in Arizona. It takes full AZ sun in stride, much better then the elastica which can burn in our summer heat and sun.

{{gwi:423440}}

The velvety leaves are what originally brought this species of Ficus to my attention.

{{gwi:423442}}

And they actually produce aerial roots in Arizona, something commonly considered as not being possible in our arid climate. There's a Ficus benghalensis at the Phoenix Zoo that has longer aerial roots. The more you water them the longer the aerial roots tend to grow in our climate. So if you don't like aerial roots hold back the water, if you do like aerial roots let the water flow.

{{gwi:423443}}

Here's a picture of my little Ficus benghalensis in it's pot. All these aerial roots basically formed after our monsoon season this past July. There are some that can't be seen in this picture near the base of the trunk that are actually forming into subsidiary trunks.

{{gwi:423444}}

And for those who are concerned about the Ficus benghalensis water consumption, weekly deep watering at the hottest part of the summer would be recommended. In the spring and fall, deep watering twice a month would suffice. And in the winter once a month would be perfectly fine.

Now certainly I wouldn't expect this tree to be anyone else's favorite in Arizona, I'm simply stating that it is mine.

Lee

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets