SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greyandamy

a disaster? soil is... ruined?

greyandamy
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

I've had quite a headache situation going on since (winter) and it's not improving..

Warning, very long... I'm a little frusrated...

I may have made things worse. I have/had the typical heavy clay, compacted PA soil full of neighboring diseased tree roots and all...

Then, I lost many (most)things to root rot due to various issues, I've dug out most roots, ammended somewhat, got out countless amounts of GARBAGE from the soil (they must have used it as a dump!) like glass, buried nails, buried wire... things I never knew existed.. Erosion is BAD due to layout of land...

In ammending somewhat, to break through the hardpan, I used gypsum, perlite, some peat... now I struggle as half the back yard is very well drained (you sink in it, it holds water too well?)... trying to grow grass, much is uneven.. and the few times it does rain, there's puddles and places where water puddles and doesn't soak in.. (I learned the issue of THATCH from H@@@... removed lots of that, and old tree roots that were stuck in a MATERIAL that didn't allow penetration...

Now, I have plants, trees in pots as they were getting the root rot still (puddling water).. I did extensive research on plants native to that type of area... but even a freaking RIVER BIRCH died quickly.. they say you have to slowly adjust plants that aren't meant to thrive in poorly drained, sometimes saturated soil... a river birch!! They say all plants need to adjust before they get used to... whatever... and I learned if you injure roots (like root prune), that seems to invite rot, regardless... only I couuld kill 2 summersweets and some other native to wetlands...The nyssa died quickly, they say contaminated spores from root rot swim in soil.. hmmm... I've increased drainage... I'm still working on it..

I can't afford more, honestly, I've been in overdraft fees for 3 months now... my yard looks like a bomb struck, there's instructions for how to plant high, but still, underneath, there's heavy clay... I've been ammending for 6 years... I have a list of plants for poorly drained heavy clay, I'm afraid to plant anymore.. they can't stay in pots... I was told by an arborist (true or not) if an area was affected by root rot, not to replant in that area for at least a year, ammend, improve drainage, remove contaminated media... well, that's most of the yard... and I'm sure most people don't take the time, funds, or energy to do this..

Box stores refund if you kill a tree in a year, garden centers are a lot more picky... there's conflicting info on what grows where, i.e some sources say moist, wet but not saturated. I've thought elderberrys, bayberries (ruled out), viburnums supposed tolerate heavy clay (I have some alleghenies) but they are also listed as prone to root rot.. surely my itea would tolerate? I have the redtwig dogwoods tartarian that I read like moisture but won't due saturated.. (another type does?)... the button bush is the only thing doing okay overthere... I have a bald cypress that I'd hate to move but it may be okay, unless injured roots invite the pathogens... (plus would transplanting kill it?).. I read ninebarks like, then I read they won't take saturated... I've learned hostas can DIE of root rot(yep..).. don't establish grass with trees... I have evergold carex but reading is mixed on if they take occasionally saturated or just moist..snowberry and seven sons were started to get it, and fringe trees, though one was planted too deep...

ANY IDEAS for what's worked for you, I read the variegated willow (Japanese) thrive in clay, wet, then I hear that aren't tolerant to phytoria... please let me know what you'ove tried and it's worked... I know about planting so root flare is exposed.. preferablly deer resistant...

THANKS!!!

Amy

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor