SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cuddlyotter

found a good way to cool bulbs

cuddlyotter
15 years ago

Hello Everyone:

It's been awhile since I've posted on the forum (I really should try to keep up more ;-) ).

In experimenting with finding a way to cool the bulbs during dormancy to the prescribed 13ºC (55ºF) as is suggested in Veronica Read's book, I purchased a bar fridge to put my bulbs in. Thinking that I could set the fridge on the "warmest" setting (lowest part of the dial setting) that this would suffice for cooling. It didn't as the temperature was more like 5 to 8ºC instead of the 13ºC. What I did was set up a timer to force the fridge to cycle on an off other than what it's internal thermostat would do. I eventually found that to cycle it on for one hour and off for two resulted in the temperature inside being from 10 to 13ºC. I've since had one batch cooling for a few weeks now and just put another batch in today.

Some of you may be wondering why I just don't find a cool spot to place them. The issue is that I live in an apartment and in the past I've just left the bulbs dry out in a closet which was not cool enough.

I'm looking forward to seeding how the bulbs will grow when I bring them out. I will keep you posted.

Cheers,

Gerard.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Swimming Pool Builders in Licking County, OH
More Discussions