SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
xica_da_silva

Royal Poinciana and other odds-n-ends

xica_da_silva
11 years ago

Hi fellow gardeners!!!

I just got back from Baker's nursery, but came home empty-handed because I feel overwhelmed by all the choices!

My main question is this: I've decided pretty much that, in spite of messiness and short blooming season, I'd like to have a Jacaranda in my backyard (no pool, so I don't care about litter). Originally, I was just thinking of having it planted smack dab in the center of my backyard (dimsensions=54 ft wide x 36 ft.length)

But this morning I suddenly saw a small Royal Poinciana tree at the nursery that I know from pictures is also gorgeous. For a historic home, my backyard is not too small...maybe it can handle both(???), as long as they're separated by a considerable amount (not sure precisely how much?)? Am I pushing my luck?! Anyhow, has anyone here had experience with the Royal? I know they are a bit frost tender, but since i'm downtown in the heat island I've had good luck so far with things surviving (using frost cloth and lighting).

Your thoughts? Is this a bad idea? I can't think logically because I just dream of the beautiful contrast of these 2 flowering trees in late spring...so pretty!

Comments (20)