SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jennypat_gw

Disappointed in my Tomatoes

I am so very disappointed this year. My DH decided he was going to start his own tomatoes this year. We usually buy established plants at the garden center, but NOOO he is gonna start his own. First off, he plants trays and trays of seed, at least 3 of those big black ones. He plants these in February!! Our last frost date here is May 21, February is waaay to early! But of course I am just the wife and don't know what I am talking about.

He gets all excited when they start growing, which is great. BUT when I mention they need thinning, the answer is "yep". When I offer to do it, the answer is "these are MY tomatoes, hands off!" OK, so the tomatoes never get thinned. Oh well the hardier ones will take over, and the weak ones will die off.

Next it's time to start pinching off the tops, so they don't get leggy. His answer "yep" but it doesn't get done. They are getting pretty big, time to put them into larger pots. Which actually DOES get done, but the tags with the varieties, well they got left behind.

Time to pinch the tops! Again, it doesn't get done. Now it is the end of April! By this time I have a forest of tomatoes, all over the house! Vines all twisted and leggy, a virtual mess! I do sneak in and pinch here and there when he isn't looking. I say we need to thin these out, and maybe harden them off. SO he puts them outside! Just puts them out!

Needless to say by the time it is actually time to plant these out in the garden, most of the tomatoes are dead. Or 3' long. But he does plant them out, pinches them off, plants them deep. Of course there are no labels!

Now we have a very nice crop of ROMA tomatoes, all but one of the 15 plants he planted are ROMA.

Now for the most disappointing part, all the tomatoes that have ripened so far, and there are a LOT of them. Have blossom end rot!!! We have eaten less than a dozen good tomatoes from all that work.

Next year, I am going BACK to the garden center and buying my plants.

Jenny P

Comments (13)

Sponsored