SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenelbows1

Your method of terrarium growing

greenelbows1
19 years ago

Randi's post about her Tiger Kitten and terrarium growing made me think it might be helpful to discuss how each of us grows in terrariums. When I first started I faithfully followed all the various methods I read and failed every time. Then I worked out my own method, which is almost always successful for me, but breaks a number of the rules everyone gives. I'd like to know how everyone else does it and how successful you are. I will take a deep breath and admit how I do it so you can all gasp in horror!
The main ingredient for my terrarium growing is lots of sphagnum moss, which I put in a collander, drizzle with something like Safer's Insecticidal Soap (dish washing detergent will foam for HOURS) and rinse under the hot-water faucet until it stops foaming. I line the bottom of the terrarium thickly with the moss, place the plant(s) or cutting(s) where I want them, and surround and cover them with more moss. Sometimes the plants have a root-ball in my basic potting soil and I leave it, but often there's no soil at all. I think it works better to add charcoal (coarse of course) but I don't always. I water them all in with very small amounts of distilled or rain water to which I add a drop or two of ST and a tiny bit of fertilizer since sphagnum moss has no food value I think, enough water that I can see a little movement of water on the bottom, and then put the lid on. It is very humid. Not all plants would want to be this humid. You can't see your plants as well, and it wouldn't hurt to lift the lid enough to be able to see them, but when you're not going to be looking, like over-night, I'd keep the lid on. I grow under lights, and pretty close to the lights, as the glass cuts down somewhat on light transmission. I once had to be gone for three months and lost most of the plants left to the tender mercies of people who wouldn't know a mealy-bug if it bit them, but had one of the most gorgeous Episcia 'Cleopatra's I've ever grown when I came back--totally untouched for three months. So how do you do it?
Nancy

Comments (9)