SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
malsperanza

Begonia gehrtii struggling

17 years ago

Hello, this is my first time posting here. I hope I'm posting to the right section. Someone at the ABS forums suggested I try here.

I'm not very knowledgeable about begonias but I live in a sunny NYC apartment and usually do well with them and other houseplants. But I have a begonia gehrtii (I just learned its name) that is really struggling.

It's always been delicate--the leaves don't like to touch anything. But it was burgeoning nicely and then suddenly most of its leaves died and one whole stem (rhizome?). I think I probably overwatered it, but on the other hand, once before, I let the soil dry out completely before rewatering, and that nearly killed it too. It had two main stems but is down to just one now.

I water it once a week, and mist it whenever I think of it. It is hanging in a sunny south window, and seems to like the sun. It's in normal potting mix with a little perlite... I could try repotting it if there's a better soil, but I'd be afraid to try now, while it's doing poorly.

Here are some pix:

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/malsperanza/album/576460762386330425

(I hope this link works!)

Can anyone tell me how much light and water it should get? Any tips about what gehrtii likes?

Any tips for how to rescue it now? E.g., someone suggested I put it under a loose plastic tent to increase humidity.

This plant was given to me by a florist on 27th St. in New York City, known locally as The Begonia Man. He had a great selection, and this was his favorite (it was much bigger until I nearly murdered it). Soon after he gave it to me, he died rather suddenly, and I would feel terrible if I couldn't keep it going.

Many thanks for any advice!

Mal in Manhattan

Comments (18)