SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plantinellen

Top-Bar vs. Traditional Hives Up North?

plantinellen
13 years ago

My partner and I would like to start keeping bees on a hobby level. We've read some good things about Warre' and other top-bar hives...but we've also heard that they're not the best choice for cold climates like ours (mid- to lower Zone 5). We're also concerned about being able to tap local beekeeper expertise as we get into this, and we've never seen any top-bar hives around here; we don't want to get in a situation where we ask local beekeepers for help, have them get a look at our hive and say, "What in the heck is that?"

Another option we've considered is an 8-frame English garden hive -- something smaller and lighter than a standard hive that's attractive and easy for us to use. (My partner, who is the more interested/involved party in this project, has some mobility issues that make a smaller/lighter hive an attractive option.)

We'd especially like to hear from northern beekeepers, particularly those with some practical experience using different types of hives. What would you suggest for hobby-beekeeping newbies who are interested in harvesting honey and wax, of course, but who also just like the idea of pollinating our and our neighbors' gardens and helping honeybees survive and thrive? Please help us -- it's gettin' time to actually order bees!

Comments (9)

Sponsored