SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marie2140

Newbie- need help!

marie2140
14 years ago

I am new to gardening. I need help!!! I have an apartment with a nice large balcony which faces North and has a giant tree in front of it so I get no direct sunlight. I want to plant colorful flowers in pots all around the patio (lots of color!) I also have a long planter on my front porch which is currently empty due to no sunlight. (My veggies all died) This spot gets sunlight for about 1-3 hours a day max. (noon)

Any ideas on what to plant on the balcony and on the front porch?

Any help is appreciated!! '

I love Gerber daisies but not sure if those would grow. :o/

The list I have found so far online is this....

Begonia September plant!!!!

English Daisy (October!!)

Primrose (Fairy)

Schizanthus

Primrose Polyanthus

Wild blue phlox (Phlox divaricata)

Columbine (Aquilegia sp.)

Foxglove (Digitalis sp.)

Other flowers that flourish in partial to medium shade include bulbs such as daffodils and narcissus (narcissus species), Siberian irises (Iris sibirica), tulips (tulipa species) and grape hyacinths (Muscari racemosum), so long as they receive sun when they send up buds and begin to bloom. Rhododendrons and azaleas also do well in medium shade.

Hepatica (Hepatica sp.)

Also known as liverwort or liverleaf, Hepatica produces long-lasting, daisy-like flowers of white, pale pink, or lavender that appear in early spring. This perennial prefers moist growing conditions.

Bleeding Heart

Toad lilies (Tricyrtis sp.)

Lilies

Several types of lilies are also at home in the shade. Canada lily (Lilium canadensis), daylily (Hemerocallis sp)

Other favorites for dense shade include the Violet and Viola species, Lily-of-the-valley (Convallaria majalis)

Violet

Lily of the valley (small flowers)

Sonset Lantana (not purple) and confetti lantana

calla lily

cyclamens

Amaryllis

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH