SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dondeldux

Cooked Amaryllis leaves....

Hi..

I'm wondering if this has ever happened to anyone else..All my hippie pots (terra cotta) are out in various parts of the yard..some on a couple of decks. One table (white plastic) on a deck was up against the house (wooden natural shingles) and the 4 plants that were in the back row only inches from the house actually got so hot that most of the leaves got cooked from the 102 degree heat..I'm sure it was much hotter on this sunny south facing deck up against the house with little or no wind..and so no air movement so close to the house. The plants that were 1/2 foot or more from the house were OK..some scorching of leaves but all in all they made it through the heat.

I know many of you experience this sort of extreme heat on a regular basis and was just wondering if this ever happens to any of you...

As soon as I noticed the damage..late in the afternoon..I watered the plants as by then they were bone dry. No good..the leaves never plumped up..they looked like cooked cabbage..and are now turning yellow in the last throws of death. I'm hoping there wasn't any damage to the bulbs.. this was a lesson learned..We don't get temperatures in the 100's (in the shade) in New England for so many days..other than this year..

I had a couple of leaves here and there, on other plants in various parts of the yard and elsewhere on the decks, that also got blanched but just a half a leaf here and there.

I moved the severely damaged plants to a more shady area and hopefully there will be a flush of new leaves..

Anyway, thanks for listening.. and hope everybody is staying cool..

Donna

Comments (8)

Sponsored
More Discussions