SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
raimeiken1

Does anyone grow Pummelos here?

ra
9 years ago

I find it strange that I rarely see pummelo trees around here in AZ. I get excited when they're in season, and pick up a few at sprouts or at a local asian market. I love how big and sweet they are, and without the bitterness of grapefruits. It's like eating a candy.

When I search for articles on google about growing citruses here in AZ they almost never mention them or they just briefly mention it by saying that grapefruits are a cross between pummelos and sweet oranges.

Nurseries don't have them that often either, you'd have to ask for them if they have them at their tree farms. (That's how I got my hands on a Chandler pummelo last spring. I had to wait for them to ship it from their farm, and they only had two in 15gal size) They always recommend the oro blanco or the cocktail vareity, but I'm not interested in those at all.

Do people just not like them? or is it because they're tough to grow here? So far my pummelo tree have breezed through our summer here. I can't wait until I start getting fruits from it. I'm also in the hunt for other varieties. I found a hybrid at Costco last week called a "Valentine Pummelo" it's a cross between pummelo x mandarin x blood orange. I'm also going to pick up a Tahitian pummelo here soon (which is widely considered as the best tasting pummelo).

Comments (19)