SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wildebloem

Growing notes - and subborn non-bloomers

wildebloem
15 years ago

I hope summer is going great for everyone.

Although the main season is definitely over, I am still enjoying the odd amaryllis bloom. June gave an unnamed orange and Amigo, Benfica, Candystripe, Elvas, Milady (still going - but going), two Minerva bulbs (one is still going strong), Pizzazz, Prelude, Rilona (looooove that color and size), Royal Velvet, Striped Panther, Vera, and White Christmas, of all things. Pink Blossom now has a spike that is about to open.

But I have some bulbs that have stubbornly refused to bloom for years. An Elvas I started in October 2005. A Red Lion and a Scarlet Baby from January 2006. I wonder what I can do to kick them into gear. Usually, I check the bulbs after bloom and repot or topdress them at that time. I have not repotted these for fear of interrupting whatever cycles they have decided on.

One of the bulbs, the Red Lion, has me suspicious it really is something else. It does not act like the typical Red Lion - for one, it has produced a large number of bulbs and the main bulb has not grown to the size I am used to from Red Lion. The coloration is different, too. The Scarlet Baby had a long neck when I bought it, but otherwise looks similar to the others I have.

No luck with Amputo or Voodoo yet, either. New bulbs (last autumn) for me, they refused to budge. Maybe this year.

I had intended to summer the bulbs outdoor for a change, hoping the deer would leave them alone, but I have not been able to try that. Aside from lack of time, the weather has been too weird. Still is, for that matter: we have had hazy skies from the California fires hundreds of miles to the south of us. Combined with temperatures into the 90s, we have had our share. The greenhouse regularly hits 110 and above, but other than the fuchsia baskets, the plants do not seem to be too bothered - even the maidenhair ferns are doing fine. I suppose it all depends on what they are used to.

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz
More Discussions