SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
highcotton_2008

Getting rid of bees

highcotton_2008
15 years ago

I live in TX. just north of Houston and I believe I have a big bee problem. They are between the first and second floor of my home. They are above the garage, which is brick and below a gameroom, which is wood siding. They have been here for about 3 years. During this time, I've had several estimates on removal ranging from $2,000.00 to $3,000.00.

My husband is elderly (I'm not! Ha!) and he has been in poor health. First cancer (remission), then heart bypass, so he was off work almost a year. He's doing fine now, but it tapped us out financially and $2,000.00 is alot of money to us, right now! Also, I believe there is something strange going on with these bees. Always before, they would come out and buzz around quite a bit in late afternoon, then calm back down toward dark. Now, some of them are constantly buzzing around frantically, (like they are mad) while hundreds of them are hanging on top of each other outside their hive. It looks like a giant beard 2 feet long by 1 foot wide. They are hanging less than 10 feet from my front door. This has been going on for 3 days straight. I babysit children for extra income and I'm afraid to let them play outside. Is this normal bee behavior? Do you think they could be getting ready to abandon their hive? Could this be a colony breakdown? If so, when they leave, could I remove the honeycomb then? Also, has anyone had experience with homeowner's insurance paying for this? I'm almost afraid to ask my agent fearing I'll get cancelled! Your knowledge and advice will be greatly appreciated! Thank you, Highcotton_2008

Comments (6)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor