SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hihoslva

Privacy plenting near a block wall?

hihoslva
16 years ago

Hi all - first timer here....

I'd like to plant something for privacy next to a block wall. The wall is your typical Arizona "party wall", however it borders the street; I have no neighbors on that side.

A landscaper I know said no tree should be planted within 4' of the wall, though the fast-growing Mesquite or Palo Verde would be ideal (visually) in this area. Planting 4' from the wall is just not possible. Here's a photo showing the area:

{{gwi:415049}}

The grass area is only 12' wide, and I want to plant on the right side.

Can anyone suggest something that grows fast and tall, doesn't shed too much (I have a pool), and will tolerate being planted within 12" of that wall? Will a deeply-watered Mesquite or Palo Verde be okay (against my landscaper's advice)?

Yes, I've considered bamboo, but running bamboo is out of the question (maintenance) and clumping just doesn't appeal to me....and please don't mention oleander or anything like it. I've spent 2 years ridding my property of that menace. ;-). I even poured concrete over some of it, creating an artificial boulder - just to stop it from growing!

I'm really stuck for ideas here, and I'm dying to grow something there for extra privacy.

Thanks!!

Comments (3)